Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Model Railroading > Recent paint job turning Sante Fe Superintendant's Car

Date: 02/23/14 13:25
Recent paint job turning Sante Fe Superintendant's Car
Author: BaylorMax

A friend of mine asked me to paint an older Hallmark ATSF Superintendant's car for his private scheme. Here is the result.

I stripped the lacquer coating off the car. Then I airbrushed Scalecoat 1 Silver paint thinned about 50% with PPG Duracyl acrylic lacquer thinner at about 30 pounds of pressure. I baked the paint at 185 degrees for an hour. Thaen I sprayed Tru Color Paints TCP 14-02 Satin over the car. This is necessary when painting over silver paint.

Decals were next, using Scalecoat gold striping decals and Railroad Roman lettering. I oversprayed again with the Tru Color satin. Then I applied MV Products red and green lenses to the marker lights along with Kadee couplers. The windows are Proto Correct Glass from Shoreham Shops with window shades made from old business cards.

Now its off to UPS for delivery to my friend.

Steve Barkley, MMR

Date: 02/23/14 13:48
Re: Recent paint job turning Sante Fe Superintendant's
Author: KA7008

Never understood why they put markers on both ends on that model.

Date: 02/23/14 14:02
Author: Topfuel

Nice, accurate appearance with the green tint windows and the window shades.

Date: 02/23/14 14:08
Author: nikon1

nice job on the paint. Only one nit pick though. I or you shouldn't be able to completely look thru the car.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 02/23/14 14:27
Author: Hoggerdude

Fuguely.

Date: 02/24/14 15:53
Author: wingomann

KA7008 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never understood why they put markers on both ends
> on that model.

I too think it is a great looking paint job.

The problem with the markers is it looks like the manufacturer didn't know how they work or how they were used. The ones on the rear should be located on the corner of the car where the bump is (the bump even with the top of the side windows). The front marker brackets are the bumps on the front corners roughly equal to the upper third of the side door (in line with the rear brackets). Marker lights define the end of a train so only one end would have markers at a time. The only time markers would be in the front holders is if the car was being towed backwards and it was on the end of a train. The reason the markers were down lower was for easy access by the conductor. The marker is roughly shoulder height when you are hanging it. The reason for four lights is that there is a latch on the bottom that allows the conductor to rotate the marker so that the green lights are facing to the front and rear telling overtaking trains that his train is safely in the hole. Otherwise the red light is shown to the rear signifying the end of the train and any following train has to stop short of it (hopefully not plowing into it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/14 15:54 by wingomann.

Date: 02/24/14 17:59
Author: KA7008

So, what you're saying is... the manufacturer goofed. Clip off those front ones!

Date: 02/25/14 16:31
Author: wingomann

KA7008 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, what you're saying is... the manufacturer
> goofed. Clip off those front ones!

No, unfortunately it's not that easy. It is cut off all of them and mount the rear ones on the bumps on the corner of the car by the platform.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds