Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > GP30/GP35 swap

Date: 04/18/14 14:15
GP30/GP35 swap
Author: grahamline

Has anyone attempted a Proto GP30 shell on the recent Athearn GP35 chassis? The Proto shell to Kato chassis swap is possible, but Kato chassis are getting harder to find.

Date: 04/18/14 16:50
Re: GP30/GP35 swap
Author: fbe

The newest run of Proto GP30s have an improved chassis. If they run as well as the new Proto U28B and SD9 models you may not want to swap them.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 04/18/14 19:59
Author: bnsfsd70

For a KATO drive, just track down a Stewart F-unit somewhere or an early 90's Atlas unit.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 04/18/14 20:19
Author: sd39u

Easier fix is the Kato GP35 on this one. Same frame, fuel tank and truck spacing. Plus it runs like...a Kato GP35.

Eric

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For a KATO drive, just track down a Stewart F-unit
> somewhere or an early 90's Atlas unit.
>
> - Jeff Carlson

Date: 04/18/14 21:38
Author: grahamline

Thanks for the ideas. I'm sitting on a half dozen from the earliest runs, and four of the six have driveline issues beyond the usual petrified grease.

The newest runs have pretty much the same body shell but, um, seem to be priced a little high if I can fix the issues with salvage parts instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/14 21:41 by grahamline.

Date: 04/18/14 23:31
Author: fbe

The new runs have vastly improved fan details and railings at the ladders are painted. There may be other improvements but I am like you and did not buy the new ones and instead will upgrade the old ones.

The good news is you can get the Athearn wheelsets via Horizon for about $12 for 6 axles with wheels and gears. You can also get the replacement gears separately very cheaply. I put new wheel sets in my 3 GN GP30s and am rebuilding the problem axles I removed with new Athearn gears to upgrade other P2K and Athearn units with sintered wheel sets. Mine are also getting Cannon fans and proper whistles and such.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds