Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Model Railroading > Switcher Sunday-Steam Era Classic Edition

Date: 07/13/14 06:21
Switcher Sunday-Steam Era Classic Edition
Author: bigmc83

Following the previous thread about the lack of steam lately, I'm posting pictures of a model I recently completed for a friend. It started out as an unpainted Key Imports PRR B6sb. I installed a TCS Wowsound decoder with KA2 keep alive, and added LED lighting, paint, light weathering, and details. The finished product runs like a champ, sounds great, and has some nice lighting effects. I also added figures, a coal load, cab curtains, MV lenses, and red jewel markers. A little extra weight in the boiler helps this pull ~15 cars on level track. Lighting includes LEDs in the headlight, back up light, firebox and cab. A QSI speaker is installed in the coal bunker.

Sean McCaffery
Bel Air, MD

Pic 1: The decoder, KA2, and Ulrich resistor board packaged in the tender body. This required 7 connections (2-4 pin connectors) between the loco and tender

Pic 2: The roster shot (ignore my heritage units!)

Pic 3: Switching my pike before I had pack her up

Date: 07/13/14 06:24
Re: Switcher Sunday-Steam Era Classic Edition

Some more pics with the real camera (thanks to my wife!)

Date: 07/13/14 06:51
Author: tx_trainman54

VERY nice! Love the detail and weathering job.

Date: 07/13/14 08:12
Author: cf7

That is a WOW!!! engine! I bet sounds as good as it looks to.
Too bad we can't hear it. You did a fantastic job on that
little gem. Thanks for sharing it with us.
cf7

Date: 07/13/14 13:45
Author: U-3-b

She looks really nice. I am thinking about installing Wowsound in some my 0-8-0's.

Steve

Date: 07/14/14 05:49
Author: Finderskeepers

Nice looking engine, seems the tender was stuffed full...where did the speaker get located?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/14/14 08:41

I installed the speaker and enclosure in the coal bunker facing up. Then made a coal load to cover it. To other people's comments, it sounds great, and I'm really pleased with the WowSound decoder. I remapped some of the functions and played with the individual volumes to get it not to distort, but with the PRR Banshee whistle, that proved very difficult. The only downside to the decoder is the inability to turn down the volume on the chuff when it "barks" under load or a fast start. It is a 3/4" square QSI hi-bass speaker, so it has limited capability but still sounds great with some adjustments

Thanks for looking!

-Sean

Date: 07/14/14 17:39
Author: cf7

Sean,

Is it my eyes, or does the boiler sit lower in the front?

Russ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds