Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Model Railroading > Slow and steady Free-mo module progress.

Date: 07/20/14 16:13
Slow and steady Free-mo module progress.
Author: grandeguy

Hello,

I actually got some time today to work on my latest module project. The drudgery of benchwork\buss wiring is finally done and the fun is starting.............scenery. It will be a high desert stream/wash ...........of course:). Hoping to start installing the foam and carving the contours in soon.

Dave Dane
Colorado Free-moer

Date: 07/20/14 16:27
Re: Slow and steady Free-mo module progress.
Author: nikon1

Your module is coming along nicely. I see you're using 1 inch thick Birch plywood. Are the ends the equivalent to 1x8s and he sides the equivalent to 1x6s?
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 07/20/14 16:35

Charlie,

Thanks for the comments. I am using 3/4 Birch Plywood for the module. End plates are .75 X 6.00 and the sides are .75 X 4.00.

Dave Dane

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/14 16:35 by grandeguy.

Date: 07/20/14 17:48
Author: rschonfelder

I am going to presume that you are using the BLMA 150' bridge too. I am doing a similar scene over a desert wash with the same bridge. I will be putting some Exactrail bridge track in and I have removed the handrailing and walkway like, I think, you have.

Some people will be kicking themselves for not buying this brass bridge. It was sold out eventually but I was very surprised that more people did not jump on it. IIRC the RRP was $350 or $375 for 150' or the 200' for $500+. I bought my 150' for $325 and then months later someone was clearing them out for $275. When this happened I bought the second one on spec. A brass bridge for either of those prices was amazing considering the OMI ones are in the four figure range.

Craig is releasing his second run on the 200' version in a few weeks. While the earlier prices are gone, his new RRP is $725. If you want to get it up and running, this is a good way to go.

Rick

Date: 07/20/14 18:42

Hello Rick...........I would have liked a BLMA 150 footer but I had this OMI 126 foot bridge in my possession so I opted to use it. As I couldn't find a BLMA Bridge. Sometimes its good to have some items stashed. The Bridge is a C&S type. Ive seen similar prototypes in Cheyenne Wy, Fort Worth Tx. and Casper Wy. I have been wanting to build a Bridge module for a while so here it is.

Dave Dane

Date: 07/20/14 19:55
Author: mrl250

Looking good so far Dave, can't wait to see it in Benton this year along with your other modules.
Glenn

Date: 07/21/14 15:49
Author: lizzard_45

Dave: Could you explain your leg mounts? Looks amazing, by the way...

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 07/21/14 21:58
Author: wabash2800

Great work on the Free-mo, I look forward to seeing the end result.

Yes, Rick, here is a double-track OMI on my model railroad that was a four digit figure. At the time, the company I worked for was profitable and I received a good bonus. I could think of worse things to spend the money on. However, I had to paint it and install bridge track. I wish I could have baked it, but didnt have an oven big enough.

Here are some more photos of the bridge track and simulated wood work: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2358463,2358463#msg-2358463

rschonfelder Wrote:
A brass bridge for either of those prices was amazing considering the
> OMI ones are in the four figure range.
>

Victor Baird
www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/14 22:06 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/22/14 08:44

Hello Paul...................I am going to use PVC legs for this module. http://www.pbase.com/image/133825624

Dave Dane

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0618 seconds