Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > Two weathered 2-10-4 steamers

Date: 07/29/14 03:26
Two weathered 2-10-4 steamers
Author: acltrainman

Figured I'd post these 2 steam engines weathered by friends, not my work. The PRR 2-10-4 was weathered by a member of the Suncoast Model RR Club in Largo, FL, John R. The C&O 2-10-4 was purchased from a friend locally, already weathered.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 07/29/14 03:43
Re: Two weathered 2-10-4 steamers
Author: dcmkris

Stanley,

I really like the PRR unit that's a very nice job of weathering. The C&O is nice but just a bit too much of vertical streaking for my liking. Nothing which couldn't be lessened a bit with some light washes of weathering.

Vertical streaking is something that happens so easily while your weathering that you almost never notice it until it's too late. It took me quite a bit of practice to avoid over doing it.

Nice models though and my compliments to the guy from the club that did the PRR unit.

Kris

Date: 07/29/14 07:13
Author: SPED

The weathering looks goood but the engines look like they are painted grey. As I remember engines are black, that being said, I add a little white to lighten the black but these look odd because they are too light.
Just my opinion...

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/14 07:38 by SPED.

Date: 07/29/14 10:34
Author: nicknack

I think they look great, the weathering will look great under layout lighting, it's always best to lighten up colors when working under artificial illumination.

Date: 07/29/14 17:55
Author: superchief73

They look great! Personal preference on the streaking and shade of black. I like both engines.

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 07/30/14 03:15
Author: acltrainman

These engines were photographed in a garage with the door open for natural light but not outside in direct sunlight.
Thanks for your comments. I'm not really into weathering but I think these look good to me, better than shiny new. The PRR unit is supposed to be show light weathering and the area at the front of tnder and rear of cab are sand weathering from a photo.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds