Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Model Railroading > Genesis GP9 Tsunami function output question

Date: 07/30/14 19:01
Genesis GP9 Tsunami function output question
Author: CNW

I have an Athearn Genesis GP9 with a factory Tsunami sound decoder. I want to add a flashing roof beacon, but I can’t seem to get the FX5 and FX6 outputs to do anything. Is this a special OEM version of the decoder with some functions disabled?

Dennis

Date: 07/30/14 21:07
Re: Genesis GP9 Tsunami function output question
Author: ChrisCampi

My SP units use F5 for the Mars lights. they are 1.5 volt outputs as set up for the Athearn bulbs. Hard to believe the boards would be road name specific. Or maybe not. Anyways, what voltage does your beacon need?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 21:10 by ChrisCampi.

Date: 07/30/14 21:51
Author: fbe

On the MILW GP38-2 diesels the rotary beacon is wired into the front headlight and comes on when the headlight does. If you plug in a DCC decoder you have to move the beacon light leads to the function points on the decoder or the light board if the board has them.

I know this is not a sound decoder but I would follow the bulb wires to see where they connect.

The Athearn website has a link to the tsunami decoders with a list of all the function outputs for these decoders.

Read page 2 from this link to get started.

http://www.athearn.com/Content/PDF/SoundTraxx%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/14 22:07 by fbe.

Date: 07/31/14 07:16

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What voltage does
> your beacon need?
>
> Chris

I will be adding a Miniatronics 1.5-volt bulb for the beacon.

So, these outputs are already current limited on the decoder board for 1.5-volt bulbs? That could be my problem since I added external resistors not knowing they were already on the board. I tried all types of function remapping and lighting effect CVs using JMRI but can't get any visible lighting of the bulb.

Thanks for the info!

Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/14 07:22 by CNW.

Date: 07/31/14 07:38
Author: fbe

Dennis,

Yes, the Tsunami TSU-GN1000 decoders are all set up for 1.5v lights. I think the Athearn spec Tsunamis are set up that way as well. Factory TSU-GN1000 decoders also have a +14v solder point so you can change the headlights to led with a resistor and keep the effects lights like beacons set up for 1.5v incandescent bulbs.

TSU-AT1000 factory decoders have 14v light outputs but there is a 1.5+v solder point to allow incandescent low voltage bulbs without adding resistors. Soundtraxx really makes it easy.

I have manufacture spec Tsunamis in Genesis SD70ACe and U28B diesels but I have not removed the shells to see what kinds of power options these decoders offer.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 07/31/14 13:48
Author: jobrazy

Dennis,

Those leads may not be connected. You will have to remove the shell to see. On my Genesis Aces they are connected to the left and right front ditch lights. It depends on the config of the loco and the way Athearn implemented it. From everything I have seen though, the decoders for Genesis are stock Tsunamis, not special OEM versions. If you go to the Soundtraxx website you should be able to see the board config by finding the GP9 Athearn board.

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 07/31/14 15:20
Author: TomG

It depends on the model. Athearn used a full blown Tsunamis on the WP FP7s with all the bells and whistles, yet when they made the WP GP9s, they got the "lesser" OEM versions with fewer sounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/14 15:22 by TomG.

Date: 07/31/14 19:12

I have the beacon working now! Thank you to everyone for all of the tips.

The beacon was not on the factory model, I added it.

When I get the model finished, I'll post some pictures and video.

Dennis

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds