Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Model Railroading > Matching Paint for HO GP7

Date: 08/19/14 14:52
Matching Paint for HO GP7
Author: wabash2800

I am re-detailing a Wabash Atlas GP7. For touch-up and the addition of a Mars Light and the regular headlight below it, ideally I need a gray that matches the gray Atlas used. I've been trying to match it with no success so far. True, I haven't mixed any paint yet but have been comparing samples out of the bottle of many grays that I have. The old saying about many shades of gray is very, very true! <G>

Anyway, the gray Atlas used has a bit of a blue tint to it. But I am also thinking that since the gray is on the upper car body, and because I might not have success matching the gray, I might as well mask off the blue and white after I add the detail parts less the windows and lenses and repaint another gray on top of the existing gray. A friend that has researched real railroad colors says that Model Flex CB&Q Gray is a good match for Wabash Gray and not the Wabash Gray from the same source. (However, he does say the dark blue Atlas used on the tri color scheme is very good compared to other model manufacturers.)

And before anyone replies, weathering the details to blend in is not an option.

Does anyone have any good suggestions based on experience on either approach?

Thanks in Advance

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/14 15:19 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/19/14 20:03
Re: Matching Paint for HO GP7
Author: bn7500

Is there an area on the inside of the shell that has gray overspray on it - being the gray is on the top of the shell, maybe under where the cab is? You might get lucky in that you'll find an off the shelf gray that matches but more likely have to come up with your own brew. Use the over sprayed area as the test area to check the match of your brew - just a little spot at a time to conserve your overspray area. Sometimes you'll hit it pretty quickly - others will test your patience until you hit it. I've done this many times with good success. You may have to spray the entire model with a dull, satin, or gloss to get the sheen to look the same over the whole model. I did some rework on a P2K SD60 demonstrator and had to match the blue they used. I about used up the whole inside of the shell until I got it - it had a bit of a purple tint to it. If the masking is easy so that you can just repaint it, I've done that as well. Good luck!

Date: 08/19/14 21:43
Re: Matching Paint for HO GP7
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for your input bn7500. The way I've been sampling the paint is by using small squares of styrene painted with the sample and a hole in the middle made from a hole punch. That way, I can hold it up to the side of the shell with the Atlas paint showing through the hole. I also label the color and paint brand on the small styrene card. I'll try mixing a little but there is a good possibility I'll just mask and paint over the Atlas gray. However, it's going to be touchy because if I don't get a fine enough line and any of the old gray shows up on the edge btw the blue and gray, it'll be hideous.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds