Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Model Railroading > New Exactrail Flat Cars

Date: 08/19/14 23:56
New Exactrail Flat Cars
Author: crossbucks

I ordered the three UP MOW flats and they arrived today and look great however there not quite ready to run. They come with the wood decking in a plastic bag referring you to a YouTube instruction video on how to apply the decking.

Date: 08/20/14 01:31
Re: New Exactrail Flat Cars
Author: funnelfan

I'm guessing that is to keep the wood deck from warping during shipping, and so it will only warp after you have installed the wood deck yourself. How is the weight of the car?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/20/14 06:08
Author: bnsfsd70

I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO HAVE MY MODEL RTR?!?!?!?!?!? I'M OUTRAGEDDDDDDD!!!!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 08/20/14 06:30
Author: wabash2800

That info was included in the promotional information. It looks very easy.

Date: 08/20/14 13:35
Author: Notch16

Mine should be here any day. And cool...I missed the note, but it'll be great to see that cast frame in all its un-obscured glory!

~ BZ

Date: 08/20/14 14:07
Author: hankbrank15

I got mine today and I did not do an accurate weighing of it, but I was very surprised and pleased with how heavy it felt when I lifted it out of the packaging. Flat cars are generally a challenge when it comes to weight but it appears the center support structure may be the metal weight.
Beautiful car. Love flat cars, always have.

Date: 08/20/14 20:49
Author: Notch16

It does feel quite nice; very balanced and it feels like it has a very good center of gravity. Mine came today too!

I love the fine detail on the etched wood inserts, and the beautiful and delicately scale detailing of things like the retaining valve actuating rod and the brake staff. It's really a little jewel of a model!

~ BZ

Date: 08/21/14 08:54
Author: wingomann

What's cool is that you can model damaged or worn out decks and there is detailed framework below.

Date: 08/21/14 10:01
Author: RAS

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's cool is that you can model damaged or worn
> out decks and there is detailed framework below.

This is what I was thinking, too. This should come in really handy on the 53' cars up next, as well. it's great to have the option to see all that underframe detail on a chewed up flatcar deck....

My two cars are still in the mail, but I'm looking forward to seeing them in the flesh.

-Rick

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Date: 08/21/14 11:34
Author: wabash2800

I recall seeing a photograph taken on the Milwaukee Road of a combine that went partly through the floor of a flat car...

Date: 08/21/14 11:56
Author: drolsen

I'm very interested in seeing this new style of wood deck in person and comparing it to the traditional laser cut wood deck, like the one made by AMB for the old Walthers flat. My impression from the photos is that it might need a little scraping with a saw blade to give the boards some longitudinal "grain," because even though wood grain doesn't scale down in HO very well, I feel like I'm so accustomed to seeing it on models that I might need to exaggerate it a little. But I definitely want to see it in person (on the 53' GSC flat) before making up my mind.

Dave

Date: 08/23/14 23:19
Author: grahamline

Does the Tangent 60' GSC flat work for the UP classes?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0676 seconds