Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn's SP MT-4

Date: 08/20/14 13:42
Athearn's SP MT-4
Author: SPB

Looking at Athearn's website today, I noted that delivery of the long promised SP MT-4 with Skyline Casing which was expected in late September 2014 is not expected now until late January (presumably January 2015, but who knows?).

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=4-8-2+ATHG&CatID=THLS

Date: 08/20/14 15:49
Re: Athearn's SP MT-4
Author: spandfecerwin

May be it comes to my funeral

Erwin from Austria

Date: 08/20/14 16:34
Author: SteamTrainJunkie

The waiting is the hardest part.

Date: 08/20/14 19:02
Author: santafe49

Wonder if the 1:1 full size steamer took this long from design to delivery?
January '15 would be close to 5 years from announced.

Date: 08/20/14 21:38
Author: Espeenut

...that's not good news. I bought 20 SP Overnight 40' boxes to haul behind the Mountain, and I'm pretty much giving up on this project unless I can find out what other power hauled this train. There's precious little in the way of info and data on the Overnight Train...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Date: 08/20/14 21:55
Author: superchief73

Brass is the way to go, Westside models motored and dcc to boot. Cost 450-500 bucks if shopped and modified by myself.

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 08/20/14 22:22
Author: MojaveBill

I think the GSs handled them at times...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/21/14 04:05
Author: sp3811

..that's not good news. I bought 20 SP Overnight 40' boxes to haul behind the Mountain, and I'm pretty much giving up on this project unless I can find out what other power hauled this train. There's precious little in the way of info and data on the Overnight Train...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Check out "Southern Pacific Freight Cars Volume 4." It extensively covers the two types of box cars used and also has a number of pictures of the train at various times. One shot features a GS pulling both outside braced and the newer box cars in the same consist as TOFC with two color schemes of trailers, Other shots show 4300s as power, consists which include baggage cars and a rider coach, the latter not necessarily on the rear. Proper HO models have been made for both types of box cars but only in brass and resin kits to the best of my knowledge. Marklin makes a similar type UP box car with extra rows of rivets (also a b50-23) but it may be too high for SP.

sp3811

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 04:12 by sp3811.

Date: 08/22/14 07:16
Author: BoilingMan

Fun Fact: These trains carried a "rider coach", but not for passengers (there were none) but for the wheels. Caboose wheels were not cleared for the speeds the Overnighter hit, so they used passenger cars for cabooses.

Yes, GS's would be right as an alt for Mt's
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds