Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Another 2014 Penn Central Update - Benchwk & Model Shop

Date: 09/01/14 13:30
Another 2014 Penn Central Update - Benchwk & Model Shop
Author: navarch1

I managed to get another 3 units of benchwork up on the 2014 PC yesterday. This benchwork is the St.Lawrence Yard and it will, along with its' engine terminal, basically fill the 61' wall on that side. (...yes...I enjoy operating yards...).

So what you see is about 52% of it now erected. Legs may look a little askew. This was taken before I aligned and secured the legs as I leveled the benchwork.

That level lives on my person when putting up bench work - I then tweak the work with a digital level.

I make extensive use of 90 deg clamps plus right triangles when building modules. I also cut 6" x 90 deg. pine corner brackets that i place liberally through the benchwork and legs.

Here are the benchwork pictures....the next post has my model workshop pictures.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 13:31 by navarch1.

Date: 09/01/14 13:50
Re: Another 2014 Penn Central Update - Benchwk & Model
Author: navarch1

Here are a few shots of the workshop for model building down at the next level from the layout.

The first image is my model building bench. Home-made, with a blank door, and a large piece of melamine on the top; all set on wire shelf units. These things are a perfect height and the "workbench" sits at a perfect height for me. I put some wall shelves up with track and hung a pair of LED light strips under the lowest one. The shelves under the bench will be used for tools and the like. The shelves over are for often-used things like paints, brushes, decoders, wire, etc. The bench is large enough to hold my laptop - my 3D printer is in another room.

The second and third images are shelf units on the opposite wall. These will, projects, freight car, locomotive and structure parts, wood and styrene materials, etc.

One will also hold books and reference material. There is also a large closet behind me out of the picture. I make extensive use of the inexpensive plastic shoe boxes for storing things. They stack securely, and cost under $2.00 each.

Note the fire extinguisher. There are 6 of them in the layout room, three in the house plus one in my model shop.

The door, supports, melamine, and both shelves over, the two LED light units plus the two free standing shelf units and the fire extinguisher set me back a bit under $198.00. This for equipping the basics of a model-building space.

Date: 09/01/14 18:44
Author: electromac

WOW.........top notch.........nice level.

Date: 09/02/14 18:23
Author: sarailfan

Just remember that in a true emergency situation, extinguishers are for egress purposes only! You get 15-20 seconds out of one tops.

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 09/02/14 20:01
Author: dcmkris

sarailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just remember that in a true emergency situation,
> extinguishers are for egress purposes only! You
> get 15-20 seconds out of one tops.

That's very true but many can knock down a small fire before it gets out of hand. Been there done that. Most
times you don't even need the entire extinguisher. Just need the knowledge of how to attack the fire and a full
charge.

I've had an oven (15 years ago) and just over a year ago my furnace went up in the dead of winter. Put it out with
the little guy I had in the work room. Had I not had it there I'm sure we would have lost at least part of my work
room and the kitchen above. The fire department is good with response times under 5 minutes but fire moves MUCH FASTER!

I want to obtain a in home AED next. I wonder after I have that if insurance will give me a break on rates?

Kris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds