Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Model Railroading > RS-27 almost ready for service.

Date: 09/01/14 13:40
RS-27 almost ready for service.
Author: Splitrock323

All details have been added. Well, maybe some MU cables yet. Then couplers and finish the weathering of fuel tank area and nose. This should be the first of the RS-27 fleet added to Splitrock Mining. Ready to move record amount of iron ore from the Vermillion Range in northern Minnesota.
Proto unit with a Tsunami sound added. Smokey Valley handrail stanchions and 0.012 brass wire for rail. New horns, bell, awnings, working rotary beacon ( this is 1969 after all) antenna and more.

Thomas G.

Date: 09/01/14 14:07
Re: RS-27 almost ready for service.
Author: wabash2800

Looks great! I like the paint scheme and logo, very believable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/14 14:08 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/01/14 14:52
Author: rschonfelder

I just love the quality of the trucks on the RS27 compared to the ones on Atlas' C424/425 units. I see separate brake cylinders providing for good detailing. With the Alco/MLW series that Bowser is doing and the P2k version of the RS27, it is hard to have to settle with the Atlas standard on their Century's. And yet Atlas did such a nice job on the C420.

Can you tell me what chain that you used on the truck brakes?

Rick

Date: 09/01/14 15:54
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Your weathering is just about perfect.

Date: 09/01/14 18:03
Author: PHall

Just needs some Detail Associates etched brass Alco drop steps and some couplers!

Date: 09/01/14 21:41
Author: TCnR

Very believable, nice weathering.

What are the colored pins in the ore loads indicating?

t4p

Date: 09/02/14 05:27
Author: BigDave

re: the pins: My guess (and that's all it is, a guess) is that they are handles for removing the loads...

Date: 09/02/14 18:47
Author: PHall

BigDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> re: the pins: My guess (and that's all it is, a
> guess) is that they are handles for removing the
> loads...

Routing system showing where they're going. I remember reading about this system in Model Railroader decades ago...

Date: 09/02/14 22:18
Author: Splitrock323

Thank you all for the kind responses. I hope I can answer your questions here.

Can you tell me what chain that you used on the truck brakes?

Rick
- the chain is actually modeled on the engine. It comes that way from the factory. Yes, they got it right. A delicate part, but if handled gently, it makes a great eye catcher.

Just needs some Detail Associates etched brass Alco drop steps and some couplers!

- I do not know of any RS-27 etched steps, but the ones on the model are see-thru. We need more Alco parts offered.

What are the colored pins in the ore loads indicating?

t4p
- good question. I should have removed them before the picture, but as others pointed out, they signify routing. The different colors denote different grades of ore. I switch with ore, not taconite, as to make my layout have some switching. Right now I am using five different colors. The loads do come out, as I have drilled a notch in the bottom of the ore loads and added steel washers, so when they are "dumped " at the ore dock, I pull them out with a powerful magnet holder I have constructed from a PVC pipe and some rare earth magnets glued inside.

Routing system showing where they're going. I remember reading about this system in Model Railroader decades ago...

- yes, I learned the system from a local modeler who had a great ore system. I think it was handed down from some MR article or ore group. It works great, I have no car cards and it is self repeating every 360 loads.

Couplers and final weathering to be added tonight.

Thomas G.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds