Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Model Railroading > Heavyweight Sleepers for the SP Sunset Limited

Date: 09/17/14 09:23
Heavyweight Sleepers for the SP Sunset Limited
Author: superchief73

The Coachyard Sunset Limited released earlier this year is an amazing looking set. Love to own one but cant afford it! I set out to model a 1948/49 version of the heavyweight consist using my Precision Scale Brass and Branchline Heavyweight Sleepers. By this time the SP Headend, Diners, Coaches and Lounge equipment would have "Lines" portion removed from the letter boards but sleepers would still be in Pullman Livery. I purchased five Branchline Undecorated Sleeper Kits (3 each 12-1, 1 each 10-1-2 and 1 each 8-1-2) and set out to match them to my brass consist. The photo shows my first completed interior which I am fitting to a unpainted 12-1 sleeper.

Below are some improvements on the Sleeper Cars planned thus far:
-Intermountain 36" Wheels added to the Branchline trucks
-Interior Injection/Molding holes filled and sanded smooth painted to match prototype (Pullman 12-1 Sleeper Alamo)
-Kadee Couplers tucked in for close coupling and fitted with Steam Line detail from kit
-Owl mountain Models Gate and LED along with working Marker Lights on last car in consist (See Website for gate detail kit) http://owlmtmodels.com
- Handrail Fitted for walkway interior detail
-Unsure about the Diaphrams included in Kit open for suggestions as to scratchbuilding or aftermarket options
- Window shades using styrene strip interior detail

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/14 10:31 by superchief73.

Date: 09/17/14 10:15
Re: Heavyweight Sleepers for the SP Sunset Limited
Author: Splitrock323

Well done. Very good modeling.
So what does the 12-1 stand for? I am always amazed at the combinations of sleeping quarters Pullman came up with for various railroads.

Thomas G.

Date: 09/17/14 10:16
Author: 41

12-1: 12 sections and 1 drawing room

Date: 09/17/14 11:36
Author: sphauler

Looking good Javier. Keep posting as you go.

sphauler

Date: 09/17/14 16:17
Author: SP3800

Javier,

good progress on your sunset limited. Can you post the consist (brass cars, plastic, etc)

thank you

John ruehle

Date: 09/17/14 16:53
Author: ATSF3751

superchief73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Coachyard Sunset Limited released earlier this
> year is an amazing looking set. Love to own one
> but cant afford it! I set out to model a 1948/49
> version of the heavyweight consist using my
> Precision Scale Brass and Branchline Heavyweight
> Sleepers. By this time the SP Headend, Diners,
> Coaches and Lounge equipment would have "Lines"
> portion removed from the letter boards but
> sleepers would still be in Pullman Livery. I
> purchased five Branchline Undecorated Sleeper
> Kits (3 each 12-1, 1 each 10-1-2 and 1 each 8-1-2)
> and set out to match them to my brass consist. The
> photo shows my first completed interior which I am
> fitting to a unpainted 12-1 sleeper.
>
> Below are some improvements on the Sleeper Cars
> planned thus far:
> -Intermountain 36" Wheels added to the Branchline
> trucks
> -Interior Injection/Molding holes filled and
> sanded smooth painted to match prototype (Pullman
> 12-1 Sleeper Alamo)
> -Kadee Couplers tucked in for close coupling and
> fitted with Steam Line detail from kit
> -Owl mountain Models Gate and LED along with
> working Marker Lights on last car in consist (See
> Website for gate detail kit)
> http://owlmtmodels.com
> - Handrail Fitted for walkway interior detail
> -Unsure about the Diaphrams included in Kit open
> for suggestions as to scratchbuilding or
> aftermarket options
> - Window shades using styrene strip interior
> detail

Very nice! Getting those interior walls and seating the correct color is always a challenge since color photos can vary. For me, I now use Tru-Color interior colors for my streamlined cars. I think the Branchline diaphrams are ok, but you could go with Hi-Tech diaphrams, although they can be a challenge to assemble. Keep up the great work!

Date: 09/17/14 18:11
Author: superchief73

Date: 09/17/14 21:16
Author: SPED

I agree it is a challenge deciphering color for specific Pullman cars. Indeed True-Color interior colors result in accurate shades. I really like the SP Coac Olive color as it matches my Brass cars. However for the exterior of these cars I will be using Scale II. I am reluctant to have the Acetone base craze the plastic. Open for suggestions on this.......

Javier Cervantes
Granada Hills , CA

Javier,

You can use the True-Color paint if you lay a coat of Scalecoat II MOW Grey (or similar Scalecoat II color)on the plastic first. Make sure it is absolutely dry (min. 2 weeks) and then spray the True-Color you wish. Scalecoat makes a Barrier coating for plastic compatibility but I have not tried it with TC paint, only with Scalecoat I. Just spray it on, let it dry and follow with Scalecoat I.
Nice work on the interior, a worthy model in any contest!
Ed

Date: 09/18/14 13:57
Re: Heavyweight Sleeper room numbers
Author: djansson

The numbers used to describe Pullman sleepers can be confusing as they don't follow any set pattern. A 12-1 (around 50% of the Pullman fleet) has 12 sections, 1 drawing so you would infer that the cheaper sections come first, followed by the more expensive drawing room. But a 10-1-2 (the second most car on the roster) has the 10 sections, 1 drawing room, and then the 2 compartments (large bedrooms). It can go downhill from there when you add roomettes and single/double bedrooms, and even more confusing with buffet and/or lounges. Then throw in rebuilds and other exotics cars!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0878 seconds