Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Model Railroading > Ajin Train Model

Date: 10/04/14 17:13
Ajin Train Model
Author: Auburnrail

As I understand it, this was the name for a "downsized" Ajin Precision, which was a prime Korean manufacturer of brass models for many years up until about 2006, (of which I have a treasured few of their serial numbered items.) They were Overland's primary manufacturer during this era with some really great models. With Overland's recent announcement
that they have apparently "temporarily suspended" importation of brass, does this manufacturer ..Ajin Train Model...still exist? I know that Ajin Precision also manufactured for some European and Australian importers. Does anyone have any accurate information on these folks? I do know that I have not seen any new models from these folks for the last several years.

Thanks for any information,

Auburnrail

Date: 10/04/14 17:40
Re: Ajin Train Model
Author: coastdaylight

I ran the name on Google search and it went to a generic web site. Couldn't find anything showing they were currently in business, so I'm thinking they are gone.

Date: 10/04/14 19:16
Author: Frisco1522

I think they became overshadowed by Boo-Rim Models. They may have been formed from Ajin. Ajin did some beautiful steam models for OMI and Boo-Rim is a tremendous builder now. His models are as good or better than any I've seen, even some Crowns.

Date: 10/04/14 19:28

Since they were the almost exclusive builder for Overland for quite a few years I wonder who's going to do all those gorgeous factory finished late diesel models that Ajin did, like the UP Heritage units and some of the other later EMD and GE diesels of the first decade of the 2000's?

Overland was THE importer of current EMD and GE diesel models. Everyone else just went to historical models with various degrees of sales success, I don't see any successor for importing current models on the horizon.

Auburnrail

Date: 10/04/14 20:33
Author: Espeenut

...remember that Ajin also manufactured plastic versions of several Baldwins for Stewart Hobbies, they were the VO-1000, DS-4-4-1000, VO-660 and the S-12. I have three of these models and they're very nice, lots of fine details and they run just as well as any of my Katos'. I have one of the newer Bowser versions of the VO-1000 that are made in China and it doesn't fit as well as the Ajin model...

Date: 10/04/14 21:05

So it seems to me that those of us who were spoiled by all the regular releases of current RR models in brass by Overland over the years are now without anything that will represent modern railroading, at least in brass. Overland used to come up with limited editions of brass models within months after the prototype came out. Guess that will eventually drive current auction site brass prices up for these models since you sure aren't getting any new ones, never mind re-runs of past models. I for one remember the full-page ads Overland used to run in the model publications about upcoming releases. No more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/14 21:07 by Auburnrail.

Date: 10/05/14 09:04

My original question concerned Ajin Train Model. They did some excellent, top of the line building of modern diesel power ending in about 2006...so what happened to their facilities, tooling, craftsmen and so on? One reader mentioned that some went to Boo Rim, another brass manufacturer in Korea that may still be in business.

I don't believe we have seen the demise of brass modeling just yet since we still have importers such as Coach Yard, Precision Scale, and Sunset.
All these folks do the more classic railroad models, including a very complete (and expensive) selection of passenger equipment by Coachyard.

Even at its peak, in the mid to late '90s, brass was expensive, but it appealed to a large variety of collectors and operators. The quality(both details and running qualities) improved phenomenally over this time, and by the time the last Ajin models came out there seemed very little that was missing that was not on the prototype. While I understand that it does take money up front to get these items manufactured, it takes probably a similar amount of money for plastic since the runs are larger, and the appeal of brass was that it could be produced in smaller quantities and still be sold out. Overland's business model at that time seemed successful in that all their models (with a few exceptions) sold out. As a percentage of cost, plastic freight cars in the '90's may have cost 8 to 20 dollars, while today they are approaching 40 or 50 dollars. The price spread between brass and plastic at that time and brass now remained about the same, and you had to pre-order brass to assure you received it. If you look at Overland's own web site, it indicates that all it's depicted models are in fact, sold out.

So back to my question: Does Ajin even exist any more, in any form? I notice that at the auction site there are less and less late model diesels being offered, and more of the steamers from the 80's and early 90's. Late model diesels that do appear sell well, however resale prices (with a few exceptions) still remain well below what they cost new so there are bargains to be had for the prototype collectors,,,,just not any new imports any more.

Auburnrail

Date: 10/05/14 09:19
Author: Red_over_Yellow

Ajin Train Model does exist - they are building diesels for Division Point and others (European model importers). The latest production was Alco RS diesels. They are building C liners currently.

Date: 10/05/14 09:57

Thank you for that information. So the brass business must be alive, if not quite well. Wonder what makes the difference in the viability of some importers and not others? Ajin certainly had the technology down...from the smallest details to the perfect paint, complete lighting, to pad printing and finally even the legible lettering on the smallest stickers, so nothing is being reinvented or needing to be tooled up from scratch here. Guess the commitment from companies in the US isn't there anymore.
I will hang on to my late run Ajin models...what we have now may be all we'll see and these will be around for a few generations...plastic, not so much.

Auburnrail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/14 09:58 by Auburnrail.

Date: 10/05/14 10:18
Author: Red_over_Yellow

The problem is cost vs. value. As you mentioned in one of your earlier posts the quality of plastic models is so good and many of the latest diesel prototypes are available in plastic. Or at least close enough to be brought current with a little work. Brass has become a niche medium for models of obscure and uncommon prototypes as well as steam engines and passenger cars. Labor costs are going up in Korea and the exchange rate is hurting the situation as well.

Date: 10/05/14 17:17
Author: coastdaylight

Auburnrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for that information. So the brass
> business must be alive, if not quite well. Wonder
> what makes the difference in the viability of some
> importers and not others? Ajin certainly had the
> technology down...from the smallest details to the
> perfect paint, complete lighting, to pad printing
> and finally even the legible lettering on the
> smallest stickers, so nothing is being reinvented
> or needing to be tooled up from scratch here.
> Guess the commitment from companies in the US
> isn't there anymore.
> I will hang on to my late run Ajin models...what
> we have now may be all we'll see and these will be
> around for a few generations...plastic, not so
> much.
>
> Auburnrailare long and heavy

I run quite a bit at my club's during open houses and at train shows with modular clubs. My trains are long and heavy, and I run long hours because some of the other club members don't want to wear out their equipment. My plastic models just don't hold up to the use. My Overland models just keep going. With proper care, they will out live me. I think Overland will come back, as soon as they get a builder. If not, then it was a hell of a ride, and I'm glad I have the models I have.

Date: 10/05/14 20:27

Thanks for all the feedback. I forgot to mention the running and mechanical qualities of the later model Ajin-Overland products. From a precision instrument motor to hard, self lubricating engineering plastics to brass-bushed bearings these models are actually meant to run a long time.
Sadly, if you look at Overland's website today you will see literally hundreds of projected models planned for future delivery. Many of these are the stuff we see out there right now...no one else is doing this. Unfortunately, the last website update was about a year ago and much has changed since then. I really hope that many or at least some of these actually see production and I do believe there are enough people out there to buy them....geez, some of their runs numbered into just a dozen pieces. Here's to hoping that the Overland legend lives on and that we really only had a bit of an interruption in the delivery of these wonderful representations of today's railroading.

Auburnrail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/14 20:40 by Auburnrail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds