Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Tips for modeling water?

Date: 10/23/14 16:12
Tips for modeling water?
Author: welchblvd

Hi All!

I'm starting a new layout and I would like to model a relatively large lake. My goal is that it be relatively deep and clear, such that viewers can see cool things on the bottom (sunken rowboats, etc.). Does anyone have any advice for the best product to accomplish this? Again, I'm looking for something I can pour to a depth of an inch or so and that will dry clear, showing the bottom. I don't want to make ripples or waves on the surface, smooth if fine. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Date: 10/23/14 17:06
Re: Tips for modeling water?
Author: Finderskeepers

I've always used "Envirotex" for my rivers and ponds. It does smell, and requires good ventilation while curing, but I've always had good results and many compliments on it. I mix a little green and blue into it before pouring and paint the bottom shades of brown before pouring. Do multiple light pours, maybe no more than 3/16 at a time.

There is an excellent clinic on water on Lex Parker's website

http://drgwrr.com/clinics_17_3157820064.pdf

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 17:14 by Finderskeepers.

Date: 10/24/14 05:14
Author: WrongWayMurphy

If you go to U Tube there are some video instructions from Woodland Scenics showing
how to make ponds and rivers. Obviously they are using Woodland Scenic products.
I think they are very well done and informative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/14 05:15 by WrongWayMurphy.

Date: 10/24/14 06:33
Author: santafedan

I have used Envirotex for most of my rivers and did a pond with Magic Water. The odor is not bad for either.

The swimmer in the first photo is NOT drowning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/14 06:34 by santafedan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3209 seconds