Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > Early German Diesel Locomotive

Date: 10/26/14 17:59
Early German Diesel Locomotive
Author: Electromotive

Found this photo online at a Facebook site having to do with military modeling.

Date: 10/26/14 18:29
Re: Early German Diesel Locomotive
Author: Steinzeit

Standard wartime 360 hp German military diesel hydraulic, many of which went onto further duties with German and other Western European state railways after the war. An internet search for " DB V36 "as a starting point will tell all. A very common model, available in many scales.

Two comments:
1) I am not an expert on such matters, but doesn't that USA prime mover date from a later era ?
2) I'd be VERY suspicious of the cab side lettering.

Best rgds, SZ

Date: 10/26/14 19:02
Author: PHall

That prime mover is a "Dragon Wagon" and was developed and used during WWII.
Many were also used to tow the "Long Tom" 155mm Cannon.

Date: 10/26/14 19:57

Further online research reveals . . .

"A little of history about this german W.W. II locomotive. The German war locomotive type W 360 was an universal underframe three wheels locomotive with coupling rod drive. There were 3 different types of WR 360 locos; The C-14 , the C-16 and finally the post war C-24. In the frame's front part was located a bulky six cylinders compression ignition in-line engine with water cooling, already from beginning supplied by two producers in various types.Installed were engines as Deutz Koln am Rhein's V6M 436 or like Motoren werke Mannheim's type RHS 235S. Both types were started by compressed air according to practice and possibilites of the time. The power output of these engines was 360 HP. The locomotives were delivered first to the army, but also to a number of enterprises supporting the war production. Many of them were been used also like auxilary locos to the train stations to add or remove wagons to other locomotions." (sic)

And various and sundry photos of same or similar locomotive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/14 19:58 by Electromotive.

Date: 10/27/14 10:14
Author: chs7-321

The cabside lettering looks fairly authentic to the era (I'm not sure as to its ACCURACY).

The transporter definitely looks too modern for WWII (especially the cab, at least from this angle), but I'm not an expert, so don't have a reason to doubt the statements above that it is in fact authentic....

Date: 10/27/14 11:31

To help put the matter to rest about whether the low boy and tractor are authentic to WW2. Thanks for all the comments.

Date: 10/27/14 12:47
Author: chs7-321

Definitely looks 1930's style from the FRONT...heh. :)

It's the angle in the original photo that makes it look almost 1960s. Ha!

Date: 10/27/14 16:20
Author: spandfecerwin

Sternest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> Two comments:
> 1) I am not an expert on such matters, but
> doesn't that USA prime mover date from a later era
> ?
> 2) I'd be VERY suspicious of the cab side
> lettering.
>
> Best rads, ZS

Hi ZS,
many military engines were running under their builders plate number.

Erwin from Austria

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds