Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Model Railroading > HO Roof Vent - Arch Roof

Date: 10/31/14 15:20
HO Roof Vent - Arch Roof
Author: 1500fan

Hello. I am assembling a vintage HO Walthers RPO-Baggage with a wood arch roof. The kit does not have enough roof vents. What style vent would have gone on such a roof and does someone make them?

Date: 10/31/14 18:28
Re: HO Roof Vent - Arch Roof
Author: rswebber

That really depends on many things. Typically, a Globe, (which MDC used on their "Harriman" (sic) cars).

But....ventilators were specified by the railroad for each car order (and, many times, each car within the order - and, depending on how the cars were specified, it was a builder option - ACF used different vendors than Pullman in some cases). The best thing is to locate a prototype photo of the car and era you're looking at - the era is essential as the vents and such were modified over time. On an arched roof MBE, you'd also have to take into account (depending on era and road) a sky light. Further, depending on era, the ventilation might have been dictated by the PO specifications.

If you're looking at a 6628 / 7829 kit, the image shows a different set of vents (than Globe centerline) I think those are arch Garland vents. They could also use Ward vents. It really depends on so many variables. I *think* PSC makes the vents. Others may now as well.

Date: 10/31/14 18:57
Author: highgreengraphics

I was just looking at all those vents on my steam-era UP Harriman arch-roof train, and wondered what all those were for in real life, and how they worked. Wouldn't smoke and cinders be brought in through those if they were fresh air vents? Was this a way to keep the cars kind of cool in pre-air-conditioning days? === === = === JLH

Date: 11/01/14 18:57
Author: wabash2800

Photos of the real thing are your best reference. What RR?

Date: 11/02/14 00:40
Author: Cupolau

I have a large assortment of Walthers spare parts I have left over from kits I've built over a period of 42 years since I model S.P. prototype in the 1930's. Bethlehem Car Works, Bitter Creek Models are just a few of the companies that carry these parts. Let me know if you can't find any, maybe I can help.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0296 seconds