Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Model Railroading > New N scale layout

Date: 11/09/14 15:13
New N scale layout
Author: theshoe

Hello All, Looking for some advice on a new layout (It's been 15+ years) -- I'm planning on switching to DCC (most user friendly) and have a lot of questions on the wiring and the pros and cons of Peco verses Atlas and code 55/80 track. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks Much

Date: 11/09/14 16:37
Re: New N scale layout
Author: northridgeswitcher

You are picking one of the best times ever to re-enter the hobby. Highest quality of products, selection and DCC.

Wiring is far simpler in DCC than with traditional DC. Follow the NMRA standards for wiring in DCC and you can't go wrong.

Visit one of the national book chains and buy a copy of a "How To DCC". There are a number of them in print ranging from $20-$30 and well worth it. Purchase and read the book before making any DCC decisions or purchases.

Depending on size of layout you will have a Bus Wire (large gauge stranded wire) that follow the pattern of your layout starting at the DCC System and you will have a series of Feeder Wires (small gauge stranded).

Unless you have a reversing loop, Y or balloon track the wiring above is all you need for operation. If you have one of these other areas, say a reversing loop you will need a couple of more things but again simple to do and install.

NCE and Digitrax's are you top 2 DCC companies and if you search back on T/O there are quite a few discussions about which to buy. Yearly both companies sell about the same number of new systems.

Track look at Kato Unitrack. They are now over 50% of the track market in the US and growing. It's great, makes secure electrical connection and is great for DCC.

While not every modelers dream track, some of the current largest N Scale layouts in the US are built or being built using this track. We are talking 60' X 30' basement, multi level layouts.

I know a number of people who have Unitrack layouts all of who started building in the last 2 to 3 years and are building anywhere from a standard bedroom size layout to a full 2 car garage layout (multi level) using Unitrack.

You should also know that if you look at the standard track products like Atlas and Peco you may find some items hard to purchase (at any price) due to a shortage that has been going on since January 2012 when the largest factory in China shutdown. Atlas has been trying to catch up every since and is still not 100% there. So if you go the standard route be sure to have backup choices for things like switches in case you can't find your first choice.

If you choose traditional track code 80/83 is still the most popular for N. Code 55 looks the best in many cases but your track laying skills must be spot on and all locomotives and cars running flawless because code 55 leaves little room for error. I am sure other T/O member will chime in a present another side to it, I am speaking from industry experience and personal experience.

I used Atlas track and Peco switches when I started and built a number of layouts using these 2 products from 2' coffee table to bedroom size then switched to Unitrack in 2000 and am working on my 3 layout (very early stages) right now. I would not even consider ever switching back to traditional track.

Go on the net and search Kato Unitrack (and YouTube) and you can see what folks have done with the product. There is a large Unitrack Group on Yahoo where lots of questions and comments are made which is also worth checking out.

Also if you google the words Unitrack Heaven Layout, you should find a reference to a layout which ran in one of the 2 N Scale only book a few years back. If you can order a copy from the publisher it's well worth seeing what he did.

Again I am sure others will chime in about only using traditional track.

While you did not ask, here is the list of the main "Model Train" Companies for N Scale. Athearn, Atlas (not Trainman), Broadway Limited, BLMA, CCS, Deluxe Innovations, ExactRail (although they only sell direct no dealers), Fox Valley, Intermountain, Kato, Rapido, and Red Caboose.

Companies to stay away from are the "Toy Train" Companies, Atlas Trainman, Bachmann, LifeLike (then Proto now Walthers), Model Power, Trix and Walthers Trainline.

In both areas I probably missed one of two companies.

Others on the board can give you their input about the number 1, 2 etc locomotive, rolling stock and passenger models to buy.

Whatever way you go with track, DCC and brands of locomotives and cars, be sure you start with solid bench work. I have seen too many N Scale layouts that operate poorly and the owner is unhappy and not enjoying the hobby because bench work was thrown together. Usually because of lack of building skills and or cost.

Layout room lighting is also very important and again lots of topics on T/O about this.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 11/09/14 17:16
Re: New N scale layout
Author: NDHolmes

The biggest problem with Atlas C55 is that its been out of stock for years. A few #5 turnouts have appeared recently but anything larger or flextrack just isn't out there. Otherwise I rather like the stuff for both appearance and operation. Peco runs well but just doesn't look like a US prototype to my eye. I've personally switched to Micro Engineering C55 track and handlaid switches, but the ME switches are good as well.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0616 seconds