Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Not since the 60's

Date: 11/17/14 00:27
Not since the 60's
Author: funnelfan

Up until the mid 2000's UP had a large number of 60's built boxcars running around in their factory paint. Each was a case study in weathering and deterioration. I finally finished up a weathering job that is more circa 1990. I lightly sanded the logos to represent the fading of those logos, air brushed the car in a layer of rail tie brown, then used 70% alcohol to remove some of the overspray from the side. Then attacked it with rusty paint colors. First doing washes, then using various types of dry brush techniques. Wish I could get a photo in un-natural light that really conveys just how good the car looks.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/17/14 04:16
Re: Not since the 60's
Author: 9643_South

Looks good!

Dean Purcell
Bracebridge, ON

Date: 11/17/14 05:50
Author: Albrae

This car was part of UP series 490200-490449 built by General American Transportation Co. (GATC) in 1967, UP class BI-70-10. These insulated cars were classified as RBLs, i.e. bunkerless refrigerator. Here's a Jim Sands photo taken at Marshalltown, Iowa shortly after delivery

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up490391ajs.jpg

Dave Krumenacker image at Pocatello, Idaho dated 8/94

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up490399.jpg

I'd say your efforts look really good for the intended period. Nice job!

Date: 11/17/14 05:54
Author: toledopatch

What kind of service did UP use these cars for - canned goods?

Date: 11/17/14 06:33
Author: ghemr

Very nice work!

Date: 11/17/14 08:58
Author: lizzard_45

Ted, they still have a couple of these out in the system hauling MOW supplies....

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 11/17/14 11:01
Author: retcsxcfm

To me weathering is "super detailing".That idea is different
with all modelers.You can detail to the NTH degree or to the
3' rule.Your choice.
The car in question has a great weathering job.However,it is
not detailed to the extent that time used to weather was not
used to detail the model.Why take time to weather a car with
cast on ladders,such as our subject?

But,if that what you like,who am I to comment? VBG!

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.
Lost in the Sixties modeling

Date: 11/17/14 11:38
Author: lizzard_45

Because sometimes you don't have to go to the nth degree to get the model you want.

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 11/17/14 12:16
Author: fbe

Ted,

You are capturing the grime of an old car nearing the end of it's service life. I would question the doors though. They look like the went through a sand storm after a heavy rain. It is almost like the dirt is an inch thick here. A little transparency here would help if you could wash it off a bit. You certainly got the right idea that a plug door with external channels for operations recessed behind the smooth sides is going to capture more grime than the smooth sides.

I think you might lighten up a bit on the ends as well. When I was cutting in Helpers out of Avery, ID I would always check the train list for UP boxcars to make the cut. Those bright silver ends sure showed up in a lantern beam while trying to make a joint. Then that was back in the 1970s and these cars were a lot newer and cleaner.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/17/14 12:48
Author: funnelfan

A better image of the car.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/17/14 13:14
Author: rob_l

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of service did UP use these cars for -
> canned goods?

Yes, canned goods.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 11/17/14 14:37
Author: Jimmies

What I like on this car is that I'm not seeing ANY brush marks or any life-size runs or water spots from whatever thinners are used. The body scrapes to the right of the door look good, and that roof looks interesting with the rust pattern you've gone with. Nice job on the wheels and trucks too.

Jim

Date: 11/17/14 19:32
Author: stampedej

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of service did UP use these cars for -
> canned goods?

I always remember U.P. using insulated box cars with load dividers for canned goods. Wonder if Ted's car was used in the appliance trade out of the monster Clearview, UT distribution center?
Ted, very amazing work!!!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0794 seconds