Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Model Railroading > WP Steam Generator Cars

Date: 11/21/14 18:25
WP Steam Generator Cars
Author: PHall

Does anybody know if the Western Pacific ex-Great Northern steam generator cars have been available as a model?
Would be a nice addition to my late 60's CZ.

Date: 11/21/14 20:37
Re: WP Steam Generator Cars
Author: SteamTrainJunkie

Date: 11/21/14 20:54
Author: rschonfelder

No, no, no. Let's assume he wants a correct one; that one is just fantasy.

The only variation of the car that was done was done in brass by Oriental. You need to go to eBay for that and my suggestion is to search under Great Northern Brass as it is often overlooked for its' applicability to WP.

The cars in question were purchased with a view to having them as backup to the FP7's which were SG equipped and allow the use of U30B's for CZ service. I believe these cars were only used for around 1968 on until March 21, 1970. The U30B experiment does not appear to be that common but there are photos and video showing these cars behind FP7-F7B-F3B lashups.

FWIW, Oriental did a very nice job on these cars and there is only a paint job involved.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/14 20:54 by rschonfelder.

Date: 11/21/14 21:37
Author: Atlpete

Hi, I kitbashed one in 1:48 for an Empire Builder consist I was finishing. it's fairly easy. The Mid-Continent Museum site has some good pics of one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/14 21:40 by Atlpete.

Date: 11/22/14 02:32
Author: photobob

For those that are not familiar within the car here's one at Oakland.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index1.html

Date: 11/22/14 02:35
Author: BNModeler

Overland Brass has them.
Lots of pictures available if you are going to kitbash one.

Date: 11/23/14 15:30
Author: TomG

Ill add to Ricks reply as its the one one of merit.
Overland as far as I know does not make the proper heater car. The ones Overland makes are later models built out of EMD B units, not from heavyweights.
I am still disgusted by the Rapido comment as that thing is only a Canadian car and has no resemblance to the WP/GN cars and you can use any old boxcar as a stand in and be just as close if not closer.
Oriental LTD is the only one that has the correct car unless your ready for comprehensive kitbash. Here is the big caution. WP heater cars came from the GN as Heater cars 1,2 and 6. The prototype heater car 1 and 2 are basically identical, but heater car 6 is a bit different. Oriental makes 2 models, GN heater car 1 and 2, and GN heater car 4. Heater car 1 and 2 matches the first 2 WP cars originally numbered 1 and 2 and renumbered to 591 and 592. The other Oriental car number 4, is close to car 1 and 2 but has a narrow door and only one window on the opposite side as well as different details and missing ladders. So don't get GN car 4 thinking you have a WP car. If you want WP heater car 3(593) ex GN car number 6, your going to have to kitbash as there is no close car.
I'm well versed in this as originally in the 80s i bought GN car 4 before i realized it wasn't car 1 and 2. I was able to pick up the right car off the auction site fairly recently, you can find them time to time, but again watch out for number 4. here is the photo of car 4 for the differences. I'll edit this post on tuesday whan i can provide a picture of the Oriental GN 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/14 15:34 by TomG.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds