Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > Kansas City MO/KS

Date: 12/20/14 09:44
Kansas City MO/KS
Author: trkspd

Might be in Kansas City for work soon, staying in a hotel for a few weeks.

Are there any good HO scale club layouts to run at down there?

I'm trying to see if I should take the company flight or drive my car from Texas, so I could be mobile during my stay.

Also, any good train shops?

Thanks.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/20/14 10:18
Re: Kansas City MO/KS
Author: Milw_E70

Assuming you're coming for LETP having a vehicle is handy with all the railfan opportunities around the metro and BBQ there is to eat! Doc's Caboose in the west bottoms has a good selection of HO and N and sits right next to the UP main. Show Me Lines is down in Grandview a few blocks east of the KCS main and has a large amount of HO with a good selection of N and others scattered in.

Date: 12/20/14 11:37
Author: livesteamer

Show Me Lines in Grandview is an absolute MUST. Plan on at least an hour as there is so much stuff to search through...

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 12/20/14 12:30
Author: BCutter

Not sure that an hour is enough time at Show Me Lines! I spent an hour there and didn't even scratch the surface!! BTW, it is just west of one of the KCS lines!

Bruce
Columbia. MO

Date: 12/20/14 18:10
Author: wpjones

livesteamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Show Me Lines in Grandview is an absolute MUST.
> Plan on at least an hour as there is so much stuff
> to search through...

Went to the show in KC last Saturday and didn't find much but I did manage to spend $300.00 at Show Me. One of the biggest inventories I know of.
Steve

Date: 12/20/14 20:18
Author: SD45X

Take your car!! And be prepared for driving on ice!
And a camera:)

Posted from Android

Date: 12/20/14 22:17
Author: trkspd

Thanks guys.

Does it actually snow there?
I've never even seen snow, and as far as ice I've never driven in it.

I guess I should bring my 4x4 diesel and not my Mustang GT then....

Yay.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/20/14 23:49
Author: Milw_E70

There was a couple of inches of the white stuff on the ground a few days ago, all mostly melted since the sun reappeared. In this part of the country be prepared for anything from blizzards to tornadoes.

Date: 12/21/14 05:32
Author: BCutter

Our son is a forecaster for the NWS in KC! They really try to keep their forecasts pertinent and up-to-date. The real problem is with drivers that do not understand that slamming the brakes on while driving on snow or ice-covered roads provides full employment for body shops, EMS and fire services, and wrecker services! Quite frankly, if you are not used to driving on snow and/or ice-covered roads,walk! Hang out at Union Station, enjoy the trains and eat some barbecue! Enjoy your stay!

Bruce

Date: 12/21/14 10:42
Author: Greydog30

for a good HO layout try Train Town at Ward Parkway Mall they have 15 scale main line miles of HO and 55 scale main lines of N scale

The HO scale club is called Southern Kansas City Model Railroad Historical Society

The N scale club is called The Weekend 'N' gineers

The layouts are open to the public Saturday and Sunday 12-5

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds