Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Decals disintegrating - solution?

Date: 02/24/15 05:25
Decals disintegrating - solution?
Author: iaisfan

I'm trying to apply some white Microscale alphabet decals (#87-93-1) that are disintegrating when I try to slide them off the backing. In the past, I've always read of spraying older sheets with either Dullcote or Glosscote in order to preserve the integrity of the decals, but I've had only marginal success with that approach, as it seems like it can make it difficult to get the decals to release at all. Any suggestions on a good technique to use with those products that might improve my success rate? Or other solutions?

Thanks very much.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 02/24/15 05:29
Re: Decals disintegrating - solution?
Author: brfriedm

Well, unless these decals are are hard to get, why not order some fresh ones from Microscale?

Bruce

Date: 02/24/15 05:43

brfriedm Wrote:
> Well, unless these decals are are hard to get, why not order some fresh ones from Microscale?

Mostly because I'm anxious to get this baby lettered so I can dig into weathering. :-)

But also because I'm the son of parents who lived through the depression as kids, and it pains me to throw something out if I can fix it.

Oh, and also, because it probably took me 30 minutes to cut out the individual "IOWA INTERSTATE" and "95000" decals, and I'd like to avoid repeating that process if possible. :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 02/24/15 05:50
Author: brfriedm

I order my Microscale decals from them direct. They do have a $20 minimum order but I know I am getting fresh decals. They ship USPS Priority Mail and you have them in 2 days. I have never not seen them ship same day.

My parents taught me that sometimes it's cheaper to spend $25.00 and do it right then waste $50.00 of your time. Patience grasshopper. Put it down and I am sure you have 1000 other things you can do on your layout. :)

Good luck.

Bruce

iaisfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> brfriedm Wrote:
> > Well, unless these decals are are hard to get,
> why not order some fresh ones from Microscale?
>
> Mostly because I'm anxious to get this baby
> lettered so I can dig into weathering. :-)
>
> But also because I'm the son of parents who lived
> through the depression as kids, and it pains me to
> throw something out if I can fix it.
>
> Oh, and also, because it probably took me 30
> minutes to cut out the individual "IOWA
> INTERSTATE" and "95000" decals, and I'd like to
> avoid repeating that process if possible. :-)

Date: 02/24/15 05:52
Author: sooman1

I use Microscale Liquid Decal film... after the decals are in place I put microsol setting solution (from the Red bottle)... to get rid of the shine..

bob

Date: 02/24/15 06:08
Author: andrewcastle

Joe,

I second the use of Microscale Liquid Decal Film. Just brush it over the decal sheet, let it dry, and your decals will be as good as new. Just beware the liquid decal film looks way too thick when you brush it on, you will be worried you just ruined your decals. Don't worry, the stuff shrinks and disappears as it dries, the key is not to touch it between the time you brush it on and when it is dry. Drying time is not very long, half an hour usually does it.

The spreader looks great!

Andrew C

Date: 02/24/15 06:16

Thank you gentlemen. I may combine both suggestions and order a new sheet as well as the Liquid Decal Film to help me reach my $20 minimum.

> The spreader looks great!

Thanks Andrew. It's a little rough in that pic, with the patch of Future on the cab, the Micro Sol residue, etc., but given how the prototype looks, none of that will be apparent once the weathering is done. :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/15 06:17 by iaisfan.

Date: 02/24/15 07:09
Author: SPED

Joe,

I tried the Microscale decal solution....didn't work, tried gloss-coat didn't work, tried replacement decals, tried a few other suggestions that were worthless. I then did some experiments with Lacquer thinner that worked like a champ. I mixed 15% Gloss-coat wth 85% pure Lacquer thinner and sprayed the sheet. When I took them off the sheet and I actually could streach them considerably! They were long stripes for passenger cars.

Ed

Date: 02/24/15 07:12
Author: grahamline

Liquid Decal Film works pretty well if you pour it slowly onto the decal, tilt it around so it covers completely, and let the residue drain back into the bottle. Kind of like coating a glass plate in photography . . . Pouring gives you a nice uniform coating without excessive thickness. I let it dry for a day before using the coated decal.

Date: 02/24/15 07:59
Author: NSTopHat

Joe;

I too have had success with Microscale's Liquid Decal Film solution. I brushed it on the first time and was worried about the thickness, but once it dried it looked as if the decals were new.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 02/24/15 08:30
Author: Dilworth

on older decals I airbrush scalecoat gloss over the decal sheet they will not come apart then

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds