Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Model Railroading > One of those moments of madness

Date: 04/12/15 02:41
One of those moments of madness
Author: ajgreen

Hi folks.

I'm sure we all have one from time to time (moment of madness that is). Mine (as the photos show) was recently whilst bidding on a loco on Trademe (NZ version of Ebay), with the 1:64th scale model being a NZR (New Zealand Railways) DF Class locomotive (EMD GL22MC) first introduced into service in 1979. A little bit of history, back when I re-entered the hobby modeling the local NZR scene (given that I live in NZ) would have been quite nice, as there is always something about seeing the model in real life. However the cost back then was prohibitive, with NZR white metal kitsets easily NZ$500 or more. This was at a time when good old Blue Box Athearn offerings were around NZ$50 - NZ$70. So as you do, you buy what you can afford, so modeling the good old SP was in order. 

Fast forward some 20 years and the bug got me. In a moment of madness one Saturday night on Trademe I set to work bidding against a selection of other NZ Modellers all eager to bid against me. The price sailed past my "got to have it at that price mark" with some of the earlier bidders dropping off. Then with about 5 min to run the heavy artillary entered the mix, which saw the bidding go past what I at the time thought was "top end realistic". As the bidding dropped off in one of those rare moments of questionable sanity I decided to jump in thinking to myself if I can't let it go. That was the bid that won it!!!

What had a I won. An incomplete white metal kitset of the above mentioned locomotive. Not running (actually minus most of what was required to get it running) but a complete model of a locomotive I remember seeing as a young boy climbing out of Picton NZ heading to Christchurch on the mainline freight run. Memories of holidays in Picton were the main reason for the purchase. So the model arrived. A complete body of the loco mounted on a spartan chassis with only one bogie. The body was assembled, but was painted by what I can only describe as the thickest coat of enamel type paint applied with a very fine brush. Sadly the only photo I have is that of the one that advertised it on the website (image attached).

Of course the underlying aim of this was with a little help from my friends, to re-create a model of the locomotives I'd seen as a younger boy at the top of the South Island. So a good friend chipped in with the help of his colleagues stripped the shell of the very thick paint. From there a loosely assembled model was slowly picked appart to take it back to the individual components. These are shown in the images with the various pieces lying on my new work bench.

Just today with the help of another friend, he machined the number board pockets out, and machined some correctly located windows into the back of the cab. 

Without these two folk (and no doubt many others to come) I would be sitting here with little more than scrap metal in my hand. 

So the project is set to carry on. I'll do my best to keep you posted on developments when I reach various milestones. I've no idea how long it will take, but with winter just around the corner I'll have a few nights to work on it. Maybe 5 - 6 months and it will be complete, but only time will tell.

So for now, I'll leave you with a few images on the results from my moment of madness.

Cheers,

Allister

Blenheim
New Zealand.

Date: 04/12/15 03:21
Re: One of those moments of madness
Author: chitownjeff

Kind of reminds me of a Hobbytown of Boston Kit,

Jeff

Date: 04/12/15 05:40
Author: Lighter

Railmaster made an extensive line of North American prototype narrow gauge locomotives in S scale.
Including most/all the steam and diesel roster of the White Pass & Yukon.  Pricey.

Date: 04/12/15 14:02
Author: MojaveBill

Or the old Varney diesels...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/12/15 16:00
Author: steeplecab

This should be interesting! Please, feel free to post more photos. Good luck! Sometimes these odd projects can turn out to be jewels when they're done. I can see where this could cost you the equivalent of several dozen very good beers!
steeplecab
Montana

Date: 04/12/15 22:15
Author: MMD

Oh my god have you done now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 04/13/15 10:35
Author: UPJeff

We bought out Ramaster Export line of 1/64th scale North American diesels (S and Sn3) and narrow gauge steam locomotives.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 04/13/15 10:38

John Agnew kept the NZ line of diesels, you might contact him and see if he still has parts for that model.  PM me if you need an email address.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 04/13/15 12:56
Author: ajgreen

Hi Malcolm.

I thought I'd join some of the fellow modellers up here in Blenheim with a NZR model. The DF has been a favourite since seeing them in the 80's in Picton. 

But a lot of work to do, with what is a fairly average casting with average detail (especially when you compare it to modern plastic offerings).

So, with winter on the way, I'll have something to keep me busy.

Allister

Date: 04/13/15 19:22
Author: mikado

UPJeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We bought out Railmaster Export line of 1/64th scale
> North American diesels (S and Sn3) and narrow
> gauge steam locomotives.

Do you have any of the WP&Y diesels available? 

Thank you, 

Mike "Mikado" Anderson

Date: 04/14/15 06:09

Currently we do not have any of the WP&Y diesels available.  We have to work on a new drive first.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds