Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Model Railroading > Track plan transfer

Date: 04/12/15 15:57
Track plan transfer
Author: JLW2K

On this layout build I'm using SCARM but I am also using trammel points to verify and accurately draw curves.  My main problem with scarm is they have no track centerline which is imperitive because cork road bed and everything else goes off of the centerline.  Why they didn't include it is beyond me.   I use this tool that looks like a cowboy spur to draw the centerline and transfer to the foam with punctures but it's hard to keep it perfect without those centerlines that should be printed on the SCARM print out.

Anyhow, those are the challenges I'm having with SCARM.  What methods do you all use to transfer track plans?

-James

Date: 04/12/15 21:32
Re: Track plan transfer
Author: wabash2800

I use 3rdPlanit. I can print the plan in indivdual pages in 1:1 scale and tape them together with scotch tape (after cutting about a 1/4" along the top and left sides of the pages).

However, lately, I've used the "Cute PDF" program (a free download) to convert my 3PI fies to a PDF and then take the PDF file down to a blueprint shop for a large printout in 1:1 Scale (about 3 feet wide and about as long as I want it.).

Perhaps you can do the same with your software?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/15 19:09 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/13/15 00:42
Author: shortliner

Contact Mixy ( the maker of Scarm) including on any of several forums, including model railroad hobbyist, and ask him to include it - he appreciates feedback and adopts other peoples suggestions

Date: 04/17/15 06:28
Author: backpack

I use XTrkCAD software to design the layout. It allows an option to print both the rails and a dashed centerline.  I plot them on E-size paper at an engineering supply store (typically around $1.25/sheet), and punch holes through the paper to transfer my plan to the ceiling tile (on foam board) base.  For particularly complicated arrangements, I will lay the track out over the top of the detailed plan, pin everything in place and solder the track...then pull the plan out and anchor the track down with caulk.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1141 seconds