Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Model Railroading > N gauge slopes

Date: 04/14/15 09:33
N gauge slopes
Author: leonz

Good Morning fellow board members, please forgive
the use of larger type as it is easier for me to use.

I have decided to use foam board to build my N scale layout and creating the slopes to the mountain towns/flat sections
for the double trackswitchbacks and thier beavertail tracks that I will be modeling and using for the modern/post 1980
mountain crossings.

Which foam board is best? .

Is it better to use narrow foam boards to create a double track scenario like this
assuming a wide right of way on the slope path building the mountain as I go upward?
I purchased CADRAIL and I am not happy with it as it is so hard to use (at least for me anyway).
( I know its the preverbial question of "How Do I get to Carnegie Hall?? Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!"
Being a pencil and paper draftsman is much simpler as I could simply lay tracing paper over
the enlarged USGS maps of the area I want to use altering the terrain on paper for a full size layout drawing .  

I can scan the the enlarged maps using my wifes handheld document scanner and use them on cadrail I just have to
spend many hours reading thier e-manual. I wish i could buy a paper back copy of their manual to use.

Thanks Much.

Date: 04/14/15 16:24
Re: N gauge slopes
Author: RyanWilkerson

Are you asking about what kind of foam to use? If so, I believe the term used for the preferred type is "extruded polystyrene". There are different brand names like Formular, SquareEdge and others. I use the 2" and 3" thick stuff when I can find it for a good deal.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2334 seconds