Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > Questions about cutting Gatorboard

Date: 04/15/15 05:07
Questions about cutting Gatorboard
Author: pilotblue

Good Morning All,

I would like to cut 1/4" Gatorboard into irregular shapes. What is the best method or tool to do that? I would be willing to buy a small scroll saw if needed but maybe there is some other technique that I haven't heard about.

Thanks for all info!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/15 05:07 by pilotblue.

Date: 04/15/15 05:42
Re: Questions about cutting Gatorboard
Author: santafedan

This may be old hat.  Some time ago-8 years?-it was mentioned that cutting that was hazardous.  You migh find in a search here.  I kow it was a topic.  I don't have time right now to do it to see.  If no answer later I will look.  I am off to 1/8th scale today.

Date: 04/15/15 07:03
Author: BAB

Google dangers and you will come up with facts about it. Seems there are two, one is vapors given off while using lasier to cut it with, one given off is cyinide, the other is its flamable so using a laiser or hot wire to cut it with needs caution. Also there is a tempature window that is critical  due to fire and fumes given off. Bottom line it seems dont do it in a closed area and use a resprator wile doing any cutting that involves heat other than that a partical mask might  be in order.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good Morning All,
>
> I would like to cut 1/4" Gatorboard into irregular
> shapes. What is the best method or tool to do
> that? I would be willing to buy a small scroll saw
> if needed but maybe there is some other technique
> that I haven't heard about.
>
> Thanks for all info!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/15 08:06 by BAB.

Date: 04/15/15 21:20
Author: Kemacprr

Scroll saw should work fine. Depending on how intricate you want the cuts a Stanley knife or a #11 X-Acto blade will also work. For larger straight cuts I use a table saw with no adverse effects. Have been working with Gator Foam for almost 20 years now. ----  Ken

Date: 04/16/15 13:48
Author: wabash2800

Oh, so that's why my scraps burned so well in the wood burning stove this winter??? Man, they just flamed up.

Date: 04/17/15 06:47
Author: BAB

wabash2800 Wrote:Yes and if the fumes had gotten into a living are it wouldnt have been so funny.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, so that's why my scraps burned so well in the
> wood burning stove this winter??? Man, they just
> flamed up.

Date: 04/17/15 13:50
Author: wabash2800

I have a really good draft for the wood burning stove...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0284 seconds