Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Alco models C-643DH (Alcohaulic)

Date: 04/18/15 15:42
Alco models C-643DH (Alcohaulic)
Author: kickem

I have a Alco models C-643DH. Great looking model. I've replaced the original motor with a Mashima can motor so it runs well but...the cab front windows, cab side windows and the number boards are all open. Any thoughts regarding what material would be best to get the cab windows closed up?

Date: 04/18/15 15:54
Re: Alco models C-643DH (Alcohaulic)
Author: SPED

I use clear acetate .010" or .015" thick, cut just as close to the window size and glue in with Canopy glue.

Ed

Date: 04/18/15 16:36

Thanks Ed. I'll let you know how it works out.

Fred

Date: 04/18/15 17:52
Author: CPR_4000

Have you got a photo of the model? I saw these units testing on the NYC when I was a kid and have always been pretty interested in them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/15 17:52 by CPR_4000.

Date: 04/18/15 20:30
Author: lynnpowell

Just curious, are the trucks facing the right way on your model?  Two people I know bought Alco Models C643DHs and one truck was mounted backwards on each of the models.

Date: 04/18/15 23:15
Author: tracktime

-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious, are the trucks facing the right way
> on your model?  Two people I know bought Alco
> Models C643DHs and one truck was mounted backwards
> on each of the models.

Here are some photos of the prototype ones for reference.  On the prototype, the trucks on the DH643  were indeed mounted "backwards" compared to all other six-axle Alcos.

http://espee.railfan.net/spdh-643.html

Best Regards,
Harry

Date: 04/19/15 08:12
Author: sp5623

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious, are the trucks facing the right way
> on your model?  Two people I know bought Alco
> Models C643DHs and one truck was mounted backwards
> on each of the models.

I have one and the front truck is mounted backwards from the prototypes.  I never noticed it until you asked the question. 

Date: 04/19/15 10:56
Author: penncentral74

I remember reading somewhere that ALCO decided to place the wide spaced wheels of their tri-mount toward the ends of the unit to help 'steer' into curves.  

There seemed to be complaints about the riding and tracking ability on some roads (CIL, LV) and these units were a test.  Didn't seem to make a lot of difference as I recall.

Date: 04/19/15 20:17
Author: Notch16

Turns out -- it's an assembly (or reassembly) error in the model, and easily corrected...

1. Remove bottom plate
2. Observe the two slots for the mis-positioned center axle
3. Remove sideframe assembly and rotate 180 degrees

The manufacturer thoughtfully included the two positions, making this easy! (A simple production expedient and economy for them, of course.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/15 20:24 by Notch16.

Date: 04/19/15 20:23
Author: Notch16

4. Reposition center (non-driven) axle
5. Replace repositioned sideframe assembly

Oh, and the reason for the repositioning of the axle on the DH-643 prototypes was all about engineering: it allowed Alco's German hydraulic drive design and manufacture consultant Maschinenbau Kiel (MaK) to accomodate their low-profile combination intermediate and axle gearbox design, while still controlling the very long reach of the Cardan driveshafts -- a feature that Southern Pacific mechanical department representatives needed much coaxing to accept. Alco also needed to maintain a position that the DH-643 was more "American" than the competition, and so quite understandably downplayed the fact (at least in the U.S.) that the German firms of MaK and Voith actually designed and manufactured the drivetrain and cooling systems.

Alco repositioned the location of the Tri-Mount components to suit. The pivot is still between the outer two axles, and the two weight bearing sliding plates are still between the inside axles, just as on any six-axle Century product (whose trucks are oriented in the "correct" direction).

Thanks to Krauss-Maffei restoration crew chief Howard Wise for these photos. And now we know the answer to this very peculiar, backwards-in-two-scales mystery -- in HO, and in full size. :-)

~ BZ

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/15 20:32 by Notch16.

Date: 04/19/15 21:38
Author: fbe

What a great way for Alco Models to design the trucks. I always like to have all axles powered but in this case I could live with an A-1-A truck if this made such a unique model possible.

I am sure NWSL has gears to power the center axle if desired without too much difficulty.

Thanks for the photos, BZ.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 04/20/15 04:46
Author: RFandPFan

This just goes to show you can find ANY model railroad information you could possibly need on TO.com.  Very interesting thread and a really unique locomotive.

Date: 04/21/15 23:40

Thanks to all for the prototype and model photos. I've been having computer issues so...when I get the computer squared away I'll post a photo.

Lynn, my model is #9152 and has the trucks arranged as per Clyde King's photo of #9802 at Roseville from Harry's post. The horn on mine is facing backwards. I bought it used so someone must have changed it around by mistake.

I've replaced the orginal motor with a Mashima but it's still a grinder. I'd never heard these in action as they were gone before I began railfanning but it seems to sounds a bit like an Alco.

Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds