Home Open Account Help 172 users online

Model Railroading > Scrap Gondolas

Date: 07/05/15 21:44
Scrap Gondolas
Author: DynamicBrake

Does anyone have pictures of their scrap gondolas they would like to share?  Personally, they are my favorite freight car.  Thanks in advance for any responses.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/06/15 05:09
Re: Scrap Gondolas
Author: sooman1

Hello Kent ..

Here are three images of my scrap gons... I got them from Protoloads... I believe they are MDC cars...

bob Smiths Falls ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 05:10 by sooman1.

Date: 07/06/15 06:00
Author: santafedan

Here are some scrap loads I made for a friend.  The "load" is aluminum shavings.  They are removable.  You can see the would insert in the "before" photo.  I used a paperclip loop end as part of the load and with tweezers you pick them out.

Date: 07/06/15 07:49
Author: boejoe

santafedan - nice, what did you use for adhesive?

Date: 07/06/15 08:03

I used Elmer's white glue.  I put the insert in the car,after I put plastic wrap in the car, and then slightly thinned the glue with "wet water" and let it set. When dry I removed the load. I painted it with primer.

Date: 07/06/15 08:28
Author: 55002

Here's a couple of my scrap gondolas. I used the real thing - scrap & rust metal from work, and mixed with a grunge of PVA glue.Chris UK.

Date: 07/06/15 08:29
Author: RFandPFan

Just a suggestion, but I would keep some of the silver pieces and paint others different shades of brown and black.  Most scrap loads are all different colors instead of all rust and come in all shapes.  Thanks for sharing the technique.  The DJJX high gons are very common to and from Florida.  That is a big scrap company! 

Date: 07/06/15 08:40
Author: flippin77

Not the best pic, but what I had off my phone of a couple Exactrail Gons...

Date: 07/06/15 10:10
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I lovingly destroyed this MKT scrap gon, originally a Proto2000 kit lettered for the New York Central

Date: 07/06/15 11:10

You missed the comment that I did these for a friend.  This how he wanted them.  I try to please those who want me to do something for them.  You can't always convince them otherwise.

RFandPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a suggestion, but I would keep some of the
> silver pieces and paint others different shades of
> brown and black.  Most scrap loads are all
> different colors instead of all rust and come in
> all shapes.  Thanks for sharing the technique. 
> The DJJX high gons are very common to and from
> Florida.  That is a big scrap company! 

Date: 07/06/15 11:19
Author: DLM

I shred aluminum pop cans and lightly spray them with a rust colored paint letting some of the can colors come through.  Then I glue time to an insert.

Date: 07/06/15 14:40
Author: DLM

I use EMT scissors as they can cut through metal with ease.  Cut tops and bottoms off.  Flatten what is left.  Stack a few and start cutting in random shapes and sizes over a tray or shoe box top.  Bent pieces look good also.

Date: 07/07/15 19:23
Author: sixaxlecentury

I spent a few weeks earlier this year running a metal cutting bandsaw.   One day I had a lightbulb moment.  This is the result.  I am simply letting it rust on its own.  I have 2 gallons of it.  

Date: 07/08/15 05:10
Author: RFandPFan

sixaxlecentury Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spent a few weeks earlier this year running a
> metal cutting bandsaw.   One day I had a
> lightbulb moment.  This is the result.  I am
> simply letting it rust on its own.  I have 2
> gallons of it.  

Wow, really nice looking shredded scrap.  How do you hold it together???

Date: 07/08/15 17:59
Author: sixaxlecentury

Right now I am running live loads until I get a chance to make a base and a few different removable ones.  Will likely just glue it down. 

Date: 07/09/15 15:49
Author: markloos

I think I posted this preveously, but here it is for this thread.  I love this stuff!
Mark  <><

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds