Model Railroading > building an L&N slug

Date: 07/21/15 14:21
building an L&N slug
Author: LandN1971

With the heat on here in Florida.Was wondering
if anybody has any ideas about how to  scratchbuiling an
L&N slug ????

JLSeale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 14:22 by LandN1971.

Date: 07/21/15 16:19
Re: building an L&N slug
Author: garr

I do not have close-up photos of the slugs, but from looking at photos in the Morning Sun L&N In Color series, it appears that the basis for the slugs were RS3's or RS2's. Book states, "During the early 1970's, the L&N contracted both Railway Supply Co. and Southern Iron & Equipment to build a total of 29 slugs."

Easiest way to build one would be to copy the prototype and kitbash an RS3 or RS2. Walkway down looks pretty much unchanged from the distance of the photos I have handy. As far as the body, cut off the ends of a model RS3/2 and shorten from the bottom. Use styrene sheets to form new sides and roof following the contours of the ends as a guide as the body does not appear to have any grills, fans, or vents. Handrails would have to modified to the all horizontal style of the prototype. End railings look unchanged.

Photos are on page 75 of Vol 2 and 77 of Vol 1.

Units appear to be numbered in the 2050-2060 series.

Jay

Date: 07/21/15 18:52
Re: building an L&N slug
Author: DrLoco

Start looking in the back issues of Model Railroader, I think they did an article on doing these exact slugs (with the Mother B23's) in the 90's...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds