Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Model Railroading > Swing Gate

Date: 07/25/15 18:15
Swing Gate
Author: SD608708

Does anyone remember what issue of Model Railroad had an article on how to build a swing gate for  layout entry?

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 07/25/15 18:32
Re: Swing Gate
Author: wabash2800

There have various over the years, even in the recent past. Someone who can access the database should be able to give you the issue numbers and dates.

Date: 07/25/15 19:12
Author: dgraves

I believe this article is also in the Animation projects for model railroad book published by Kalmbach.  Lots of great projects in that book.

Date: 07/25/15 19:26

IIRC, Gary Hoover did an article on a lift up that lifts up and then swings over (and drops down?). Also, Tony Koester did an article on a large section with a backdrop that lifts up and swings out to access his laundry area. Billy Darnaby also did an article on one on his layout that is curved (though that section of track might lift out in a corner of his layout). I seem to recall a special article (in Model Railroad Planning?) that showed various solutions.There is a new manufacturer who is selling such items but also just the hardware if you want to do it yourself and save the money.http://www.engineeredlayoutsystems.com/

Date: 07/25/15 21:10
Author: iaisfan

I can't help with the exact issue, but I built my gate based on an MR article from, if I remember correctly, the late 1990s...maybe '97?  I wish I could provide more details, but the pics at http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Gate should tell most of the story.  It's basically just two 2x4s in an "L" shape (one piece vertical along the hinge side, one horizontal under the track) sandwiched between two pieces of plywood.  Construction of the benchwork on both sides of the gate is heavier than elsewhere on the layout, and the legs immediately adjacent to the gate are attached to the floor.

I built this gate 12-1/2 years ago, and I couldn't be happier with how well it's worked out.  Aside from some minor adjustments during the very first year's seasonal humidity swings, it's been absolutely trouble-free.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 07/26/15 08:09
Author: Bscale316

Here's three to look for:
Nov. 2012  Build a Layout Gate
Aug. 2003 Ending the Duckunder Blues
Mar. 1998 Build a Swinging Gate for Easy Access.
I believe the last one is the one mentioned just above.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 07/27/15 19:29
Author: WP282

I built one out of a solid core door using the lower half much like a Dutch door. The posts on either side are 4 x 4 posts anchored to the floor with concrete screws. The door has been in operation for over 10 years and even survived a year of house remodeling which included finishing the train room. It's has rarely needed adjustment.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/15 19:40 by WP282.

Date: 07/27/15 20:43
Author: SD608708

Thanks guys. Y'all sure gave me a wealth of information.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 07/28/15 09:44

I built one like that too, Mike.

WP282 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I built one out of a solid core door using the
> lower half much like a Dutch door. The posts on
> either side are 4 x 4 posts anchored to the floor
> with concrete screws. The door has been in
> operation for over 10 years and even survived a
> year of house remodeling which included finishing
> the train room. It's has rarely needed
> adjustment.
>
> Mike
>
> Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds