Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn 2-8-2 light Mike

Date: 07/25/15 23:51
Athearn 2-8-2 light Mike
Author: kdrtrains

Have a friend who recently picked up a brand new in the box HO Genesis 2-8-2 light mike at the recent Santa Fe convention. After reading over what we believe are all the posts, has anybody had a problem with 1 set of drivers out of alignment with the others? Although we have not taken off the boiler shell yet, could it be a easy fix? While testing it on straight track, it runs very smooth and oddly from all the posts, is very heavy and a good puller. Just have this driver issue.

Thanks 
KR

Date: 07/26/15 01:53
Re: Athearn 2-8-2 light Mike
Author: calsubd

I would warranty it, personally, bought mine 12 years ago or more, hasn't been around the track yet, At the time I bought it I did not have a layout, then when I did run it, the warranty was up , Luckily I don't do Steam but my I H C Mikado runs like a greyhound, not knocking Athearn, but internally the engine needs petite oriental fingers to work on it.

i

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 07/26/15 08:41
Author: wabash2800

I understand that as far as disassembling it, everything is very compact and a PITA. Yes, if it's still under warranty, send it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/15 09:21 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/26/15 09:17
Author: tomstp

I'm confused.  You say it ran fine and yet you want to tear it down or get Athearn to warrant it?

Date: 07/26/15 09:23

Tom:

From the OPs post I understand he said that one of the driver sets is out of line and wonders if disassembling it will be an easy fix.

My question is: Is it the one set of drivers out of gauge? if so, that might be an easy fix without disassembling it. Or does the drivers need requartered?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/15 09:25 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/26/15 11:14
Author: tomstp

Vic.  It can't be out of quarter since it runs smooth.  From his description I took it that he was told that others had such driver problems and he was wondering if his would later on..

Date: 07/26/15 11:59

Yes, I think you are right Tom.

Date: 07/26/15 15:44
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I had a problem with mine in that the front pony truck and front set of drivers would derail at odd times.

I finally figured out the engine was heavy in the rear, light in the front.  I added weight to the front end and it runs great now.

Date: 07/27/15 21:29

He was just curious if anyone else had experienced this. Hasn't tried to take it apart yet and don't know if its a guage problem or a axle/driver problem.

KR

Date: 07/31/15 09:32

was no need to warranty the locomotive or even try and contact Athearn. This was a brass bearing that popped out and cuased teh driver to shift to the side. All is good now and the driver is in alignment as is the wheel guage. Was a very easy fix.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds