Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Success,, Decoder location Athearn GP40-2 HO

Date: 07/26/15 17:55
Success,, Decoder location Athearn GP40-2 HO
Author: calsubd

I have a little tidying up to do but rerouting the wires this way worked, I am going to remove 1 of the 2 weights that are taped together, in one of the pics you can see the rough opening in the rear bulkhead of the weight chamber, this keeps the decoder over the rear truck and the weight in the weight chamber, 95 % of my loco's are 6 axle, so I needed another 4 axle

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/15 17:10 by calsubd.

Date: 07/26/15 17:58
Re: Success,, Decoder location Athearn GP38-2 HO
Author: calsubd

few more, Thanks all for your help

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 07/27/15 10:40
Author: rlperkins

That is an interesting way to install the decoder. That installation is quite clever. That method never occurred to me. 

I have done several Athearn GP-38 and GP-50 units. I ended up cutting out that plastic platform where the weight sat. I installed the decoder above the motor. I used the miniatronics LEDs for the headlight and the rear light. On my units the rear LED sits in a piece of quarter inch tube underneath the radiator fans. Maybe I just need to find a decoder that sits in a smaller package that can sit in the platform underneath the dynamic brake fans. 

Bob Perkins
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Date: 07/27/15 12:09
Author: fbe

Bob,

N scale plug in decoders generally have a 1 amp capacity which is enough for an Athearn GP and many other locos.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds