Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Model Railroading > Scenic Railroads/Tourist Railroads and corresponding models

Date: 08/02/15 17:29
Scenic Railroads/Tourist Railroads and corresponding models
Author: JLW2K

Does anyone have a list or could partially or fully provide a list of tourist railroads/scenic railroads/excursions and the steam and diesel locomotives that they own in which you could buy a model without kitbashing and minimal modification?  HO scale only.  Feel free to add what you know  I think my question is horribly worded so I'll give some examples: 

Whitewater Valley Railroad - Milwaukee Road SD10 from Overland Models 

Cass Scenic Railroad - Shay #5 from Bachmann 

Deleware River Railroad - Susquehanna #142 from Bachmann 

Illinois Railway Museum - Frisco #1630 from Bachmann 

Friends of 261 - Milwaukee Road #261 from Overland Models and Broadway Limited (upcoming).

Tennessee Valley Railroad - Southern # 630 and 4501 from Bachmann and Broadway Limited

Virginia Museum of Transportation - NW # 611 from Overland Models, MTH and Broadway Limited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/15 17:30 by JLW2K.

Date: 08/02/15 17:58
Re: Scenic Railroads/Tourist Railroads and corresponding models
Author: ssw

Broadway Limited has done the Austin & Texas Central RR (Austin Steam Train Assn.) RSD-15 #442
Balboa did a brass 2-8-2, Mk-5 class for the T&NO that is mostly correct for H&TC/T&NO 786, also at ASTA.
Several of the passenger cars are also available, in their original schemes, via Walthers and BLI as well.

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

Date: 08/02/15 18:22
Author: P

The Whitewater Valley Railroad also has an HO model of Lima Hamilton #25, but it is a brass limited edition, so I dont know if that counts. 

Date: 08/02/15 20:28
Author: Roundhouse_Rat

Various makers of Rogers Locomotive works 4-6-0 "Sierra Railway #3" in service at Railtown 1897 SHP, Same with Sierra Railway Shay #2 ex Feather River Lumber Co. Brass models

Date: 08/02/15 20:33
Author: RuleG

Rapido Trains will be producing FPA4s decorated for the Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train and New York & Lake Erie.

There have been HO scale models produced of the Nickel Plate 765 and Pere Marquette 1225, but don't know who makes them or if they are currently available.

Blackstone models produces HOn3 models of Rio Grande 2-8-2s which are great starting points to model the Cumbres & Toltec and Durango & Silverton locomotives.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 20:33 by RuleG.

Date: 08/03/15 03:44
Author: EH49

I have a model of N&W 611 by Bachmann that I got over 10 years ago.

Date: 08/03/15 12:23
Author: HB90MACH

All of the locomotives for the strasburg RR. Plus you can get some of the PAssenger cars in thier paint. Just go over to the Strasburg hobby shop which should be online.

Wanamaker, Kempton and? is another one. that has very small power.

What does the Stewartstown RR currently have?

Wilmington and western is another one that you could get models for.

Date: 08/03/15 15:19
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Atlas has made HO models of at least two diesels in the IRM collection: CB&Q 504 (SD24) and C&NW 1518 (GP7).

The Bachmann Russian Decapod model was offered decorated as Frisco 1630 but it is incorrect as 1630 has its air pump relocated to the pilot deck (done at some point in its Frisco career), the only one so modified.

You can get the 5-car Nebraska Zephyr trainset in brass (offered by several importers over the years) as well as a Phase 1 E5A (also offered by multiple importers over the years), but you would have to decal them with the proper numbers and names.

I believe Walthers also offered its FM H-10-44 decorated as MILW 760 at one time.

NZ

Date: 08/03/15 16:58
Author: neilgross

Walthers did the Southern Pacific E9 #6051 from the California State Railroad Museum and even had a special deal where a portion of the proceeds from the sales of model 6051s went to support the real CSRM.

Also, there are many models of UP excursion locomotives.  So many, I forget which manufacturers have done which engines.  The only ones that pop into my head immediately are the Athearn 844 and 3985.  And somebody has announced 4014 with an oil tender.

Date: 08/03/15 19:43
Author: Lurch

While not a ready to run tourist model, it didn't take much to dress up a California Western Railroad GP9.  The locomotive is a ready to run Walthers GP9m, add some cab shades, a new horn, some ditch lights, paint (deep red, yellow, and black), and some Microscale decals and you have a decent running tourist hauler.

I believe Athearn make some McCloud Railroad SD38's that were ready to run.

Date: 08/04/15 22:18
Author: Notch16

Niles Canyon Railway/Pacific Locomotive Association, Sunol California, exact numbers and paint schemes recently available in HO:

• SP NW-2 1423 in Tiger Stripe: Broadway Limited (exact road number)
• SP GP-9 5623 in Black Widow: Athearn Genesis

And credible substitutes or other road numbers for PLA's Black Widow SD9E SP 5472 (Walthers), Western Pacific F7A #918D and GP9 #713 (Athearn Genesis), the world's only surviving USA Krauss-Maffei SP 9010 (Overland), and an exact model in brass of Southern Pacific 0-6-0 1269 (SK International, 1980s and recently offered on eBay).

Models needing repaints not listed, nor matches to PLA rolling stock.

~ BZ

Date: 08/05/15 12:03
Author: march_hare

Broadway Ltd did a model of the Reading's T1 4-8-4s a few years ago.  These were famous for leading the Reading Rambles excursions of the 1960s.  BLI even did the modified version with elephant ear smoke deflectors, as painted for the D&H birthday celebration in 1973. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0737 seconds