Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > Intermountain AC12 3rd run reviews, comments needed

Date: 08/24/15 06:14
Intermountain AC12 3rd run reviews, comments needed
Author: SPDRGWfan

While my main modeling interest is 1970s and 1980s I am thinking of picking up a steam engine for something fun and interesting - fan trips etc.  Being a D&RGW and SP fan, and most of what is available in plastic is for the SP, I was thinking about buying an Intermountain cab forward - I've always found them to be interesting beasts, got to see the real thing in the Sacramento RR Museum and they ran on Donner Pass where I used to frequent.

I've casually followed the saga of the Intermountain AC12 cab forwards and seen a few comments, mostly problems with the first two runs.  I had an opportunity to buy an upgraded 2nd run but am leery so decided to hold off and research.  There are 3rd run cab forwards available still from a number of vendors and wife and I talked about it - they aren't cheap of course, so main concern is I educate myself on them before proceeding.  

Can I get some feedback on the 3rd run?  Overall did Intermountain take care of the issues with the previous two runs in the 3rd run and I also noticed 3rd run comes with a different sound decoder - Loksound.  Any feedback, reviews, comments would be welcome.

BTW, there are a couple of Int Mnt cab forwards I could get from a local vendor for a good discount - I believe they are 3rd run (have Loksound) and according to the seller one is an AC8 and another is an AC10.  Looking at Intermountains website list for the 3rd run, it looks like they offered 8, 10, 11 and 12 AC versions.  What is the difference and should I care?

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 08/24/15 08:48
Re: Intermountain AC12 3rd run reviews, comments needed
Author: Finderskeepers

There is some useful information here, sounds like the bugs were indeed worked out on the 3rd run
http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/announcements/view.php?ID=5470
If you watch the video, you will notice that the chuff rate still isn't correct for an articulated engine (and as a caveat, I would suggest never putting a DCC engine on a live track as they demonstrated)
Listen to the MTH cab forward, you will find the sound is much more realistic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXM0Iaq1Eo

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/15 09:07 by Finderskeepers.

Date: 08/24/15 11:37

Thanks for the info - looks like the MTH version is substantially more expensive.  It will be pushing my budget to afford the Intermountain version.

I'd be interested in some hands-on comments for those who have operated the Intermountain 3rd run with Lok sound.

Thanks in advance, Jim Fitch

Date: 08/24/15 12:31
Author: bxmoore

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info - looks like the MTH version
> is substantially more expensive.  It will be
> pushing my budget to afford the Intermountain
> version.
>
> I'd be interested in some hands-on comments for
> those who have operated the Intermountain 3rd run
> with Lok sound.
>
> Thanks in advance, Jim Fitch
The MTH one is impossible to speed-match to DCC locomotives, and I personally found the one I had well-nigh impossible to get to start slowly and smoothly.  I ended up ripping out all the MTH stuff and installing a Loksound Select.  Now it's great.

Brian 

Date: 08/24/15 13:03
Author: SeaboardMan

Be advised:  buying your first quality steamer can lead you to a very slippery slope. Lol

Date: 08/24/15 13:35
Author: WP282

My take on the issue is get an Athearn MT4 mountain. They run very well with great sound and none of the issues associated with Intermountain.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/24/15 14:59

SeaboardMan Wrote:
> Be advised:  buying your first quality steamer
> can lead you to a very slippery slope. Lol

Hah hah, I've wondered that, budget withstanding.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/24/15 16:17
Author: tiltone

I have four of the third run of intermounian cab foward  no problems good sound run nice an smooth only trouble getting throtle controlers  back off guys running them they just love em!!! Cheers Dennis

Date: 08/24/15 17:24

bxmoore Wrote:
> SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for the info - looks like the MTH
> version
> > is substantially more expensive.  It will be
> > pushing my budget to afford the Intermountain
> > version.
> >
> > I'd be interested in some hands-on comments for
> > those who have operated the Intermountain 3rd
> run
> > with Lok sound.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Jim Fitch
> The MTH one is impossible to speed-match to DCC
> locomotives, and I personally found the one I
> had well-nigh impossible to get to start slowly
> and smoothly.  I ended up ripping out all the MTH
> stuff and installing a Loksound Select.  Now it's
> great.
>
> Brian 

I've never tried to speed match my MTH cab forward to anything, typically they didn't need to be doubleheaded,
that being said,I've read that MTH makes every speed step equivalent to 1 scale mph, so the speed graph should be
linear until the model reaches its top speed.
All I can say  is run one, compare it against the IM one and see which one is more impressive. Don't be scared off
by the MSRP, I bought mine off evil-bay for under $400 including shipping.
Mine is more than happy to crawl along at speed step one, inching along.

Date: 08/24/15 17:30

Can any one give any details on the AC8, vs AC10, 11 and 12?  It looks like IMR did four versions.  Does it matter?

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/24/15 23:06

Sorry Jim, are you asking if there are differences in running qualities between the AC-8,10,11&12, or what is the difference in spotting features? If you are asking the latter, the 10,11&12 are nearly identical, while the AC-8 differs in front end appearance by virtue of details around the headlight and radiator grills. For more details see
http://www.keymodels.net/id17.html

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds