Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Model Railroading > I bring the following news.

Date: 08/25/15 19:08
I bring the following news.
Author: IronDuke

Richard P. Yager II a.k.a IronDuke, the founder of Oregon Rail Supply passed away as of August 25th 4 P.M. Feuneral services are being scheduled.
Cause of death is suspected to be his aorta bursting.

He was a great man and will be with us always.

I'm not a man of many words, but seeing as he frequented around here often I saw fit to inform everyone.

~His son Richard P. Yager III

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/15 19:15 by IronDuke.

Date: 08/25/15 20:10
Re: I bring the following news.
Author: rschonfelder

Sorry for your loss - he built a great product and a good company.

Rick

Date: 08/25/15 20:21
Author: funnelfan

Damn, really sorry to hear that. I had dinner with him a few times when the Willamette Valley Model Railroad club I was a member of was building up some of his signals into RTR models. I know he make a great impact in both the model railroad and railfan worlds in many ways people are unaware of, such as helping to restore the 4449. A good guy that will be missed by many!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/25/15 20:48
Author: Notch16

I am sorry to hear the news. I will likely visit SP 4449 this weekend, and that locomotive is certainly imbued forever with his labors, his travels, and his presence. My best wishes to his family.

~ Bob Zenk/Seattle

Date: 08/25/15 20:50
Author: wag216

I first got to meet Dick in Aug. 1983. Dick made it possible to me to have some time in the cab of the NKP 765 in Fort Wayne, In. The folks at TO made it possible for me to "visit" with Dick in Portland. Great friend, great railroader and will  always remember him.. wag216

Date: 08/25/15 21:02
Author: wabash2800

I worked with him on the 765 back in the late 1970s, and though he could be quite a character, he'll be missed. I also recall when he had the hobby shop here in Fort Wayne. My condolensces. I did not know him well enough to know he had a son.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/15 21:29 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/25/15 21:58
Author: WestinAshahr

(I posted the following on Dick's FB page and thought I'd share it here...)

There are a number of Yager photos in the archives, some of which can be shared later. But for now, here's one of my personal favorites when my youngest son Jeff got to meet Dick for the first time in May 1996.  It also shows a side of the Iron Duke that not many knew: he had a soft spot in his heart for kids.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Yager family tonight as they deal with his sudden loss.  He will be fondly remembered by many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/15 21:59 by WestinAshahr.

Date: 08/25/15 22:49
Author: IronDuke

Thank you for the post folks.

I agree, it was just to sudden. It's just so overwhelming.

Date: 08/25/15 23:05
Author: tracktime

Sending our prayers and deepest sympathies to your family..  Yoiur dad had a huge positive impact and legacy well beginning with and extending far beyond the trains he worked on.

Sincerely,
Harry

Date: 08/26/15 04:27
Author: LoggerHogger

This is quite sad news indeed.  Dick was one of a kind and had that kind of warmth and charm wraped in a big package that made him a delight to be around.  As a longtime member of our Daylight Crew he left his mark all across this country.  He will be missed by many.

Gods Speed Dick.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 04:47 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/26/15 06:57
Author: calsubd

Sorry for your loss and Condolences to your family !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 08/26/15 09:20
Author: original

Richard
Your Dad had another nickname "Baby Huey" - this was because he "Roared like a Lion" but, We all knew he "purred like a kitten".
Dick was always a straight forward person with a "Heart of Gold'.
We all will miss him - I was looking forward to seeing him this week, Damn !
Original Fred

Date: 08/26/15 11:12
Author: Goalieman

Richard:

While I didn't know you dad well, I do remember his time here in Fort Wayne while he worked on NKP 765.  A couple of years ago, he reached out to me through TO and we had an hour long conversation about the "good old days" when the Nickel Plate still ran through downtown Fort Wayne at grade level.  What a terrific person.  My prayers are with you and your family during these difficult days.

With Deepest Sympathy,
Mark Vandre
Fort Wayne, IN

Date: 08/26/15 14:44
Author: nycman

Richard, what terrible news.  Please accept my condolences.  Your dad was a great guy.  Back in 2005 at the NRHS convention in Portland, he took a great shot of the 700 & 4449 doubleheader.  I was riding, so unable to get such photos.  I bought a copy of his from him in the Brooklyn roundhouse, and asked if I could put it on my website.  He said he would prefer that I do not, and I did not, and it has been hiding every since, but I thought it might be appropriate to put it on here, as a tribute to Dick.  RIP.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds