Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > Union Pacific yellow side sill stripes

Date: 08/26/15 09:14
Union Pacific yellow side sill stripes
Author: kestrel

Hi all,

I'm looking to update some of my Union Pacific locomotives to yellow side sills.  Is there anybody else out there that has done this?  What decals did you use to accomplish this?  I know MicroScale has set 87-1402 to decal modern locomotives, but I'd rather just buy the stripes by themselves.  How wide are the stripes, and what set did you use to decal them?

Thanks!

Vince Smith
Gulf Western Modular Railroad Society
Corpus Christi, TX

Date: 08/26/15 10:05
Re: Union Pacific yellow side sill stripes
Author: BNModeler

How about buying the Microscale TrimFilm and cutting them to size?

Date: 08/26/15 12:09

Hadn't really thought of that.  Was more focused on just getting yellow stripes and doing it that way.  I only have about 5 locomotive to re-stripe, so I really dont have that much to do.  That and I still want to know how wide the stripes are, even if I am to use trim film.

Thanks!
Vince

Date: 08/26/15 13:33
Author: funnelfan

Having just applied some of this stripping to a 1:1 scale locomotive, I can tell you the standard size stripe applied to cars and locomotives is 3" tall x 24" long. On the original UP scheme, the upper red stripe is 3" tall while the lower frame stripe is 4" tall. I believe the replacement yellow strip is also 4" tall. 4" / 87 = .046" = 3/64th of a inch. Micoscale set #91136 includes a number of 4" HO scale yellow stripes that should work.911369113691136

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/26/15 13:35
Author: turbine

To cover the red stripes on factory painted locomotives you need to order Microscale sets # 91106 3" & 4 3/4" inch yellow stripes or set #91136 4" & 6" yellow stripes.
I recommend ordering both sets as there are discrepancies in different manufacturers striping width so this way you have covered all variations. OMI is probably the most notorious for size variations on different models and I have done many of these.

Larry

Date: 08/26/15 15:12
Author: Chris484trains

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,1914752,1914752#msg-1914752

Hopefully the link above works!

MrMRL, of this parish, did this with microscale 5 years or so ago!

Looks rather attractive! :-)

Cheers

Chris C

Date: 08/26/15 20:57
Author: railstiesballast

I put temporary yellow sill stripes on an SP AC4400 that retained its SP number using chartpack 3/64" yellow tape.
As I back-date the layout I can "un-merge" it leaving the factory white stripe intact.
The slightly glossy tape kind of works as the reflective tape used in 1:1 frame stripe rails.
In my case the slightly weathered unit makes a nice contrast with the fresh looking stripe.

Date: 08/27/15 06:54

Thank you to everyone who posted!

I knew that someone on here had re-striped their UP locomotives, but I couldn't find the post.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

Vince

Date: 08/27/15 11:49
Author: binder001

I have used the MicroScale 3" & 4 3/4" striping to do several locos and haven't run into any major issues yet.  One advantage of the MS set is that for the past several years they have been printing their yellow inks over a white background to there isn't any "see through" effect as some yellow decals have.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds