Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Model Railroading > CP "Red Barn" differences

Date: 08/30/15 19:47
CP "Red Barn" differences
Author: toledopatch

Do the variations in these units -- such as the porthole window in the nose door and the different dots/dashes along the frame line -- represent individual differences during initial production, or were there modifications made over time, such as adding the porthole windows in the door?

I'm especially interested in the nose-window issue; it seems likely that the dashes were a later paint modification.

http://bowser-trains.com/new/GMD%20SD40-2F.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 19:49 by toledopatch.

Date: 08/30/15 19:49
Re: CP "Red Barn" differences
Author: tracktime

The added porthole window in the nose and sill striping variations were modifications made over time.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 08/30/15 19:50

tracktime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The added porthole window in the nose and sill
> striping variations were modifications made over
> time.
>

So if I'm interested in a c.1990 version, I should stick with the ones that lack the nose window, eh? I'll plan on it....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 19:55 by toledopatch.

Date: 08/31/15 02:37
Author: rschonfelder

toledopatch Wrote:

> So if I'm interested in a c.1990 version, I should
> stick with the ones that lack the nose window, eh?

Consult your prototype photos.  I think the nose door window was installed sometime after May 1993.  My reason for this was that I arrived back in Calgary to visit the family and my first trip to Alyth caught #9000 with its new "Two flags scheme".  I am pretty sure it was painted that week.  I feel that the door was still in its original state at that time and given that it was in the shop at that time, i would have thought then was the time they could have done the door window.  However, that window would have jumped out at me because it sure did when Diesel Era did their article on the Red Barn.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to my 1993 photos at the moment so I cannot verify that for you.

By extreme coincidence, I returned to Melbourne from that 1993 vacation and met a fellow here who traded photos with someone who worked in Ogden Shops and provided company photos of the new 2 Flags scheme on #9000.  The fellow was good enought to give me those photos but as it is in storage, I will only try to find them for you.

My short statement is that the window went in well after your 1990 timeline.  I will stand corrected and recommend someone to jump in here who may have the Diesel Era Red Barn ariticle as it may be in there.  I do not know anything about the dash stripes so cannot offer comment.

Rick

Date: 08/31/15 03:56
Author: MitchGDRMCo

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/5/6/5/5565.1184130000.jpg
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C43654%5Ccp%209000%20nov%2093.jpg
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C27456%5CIMG_1357ii.jpg
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C27456%5CCP9006Portii.jpg
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C75529%5CCP%204233%20north%20CP%209007%20north%20Oneonta%2009221991.jpg

As you can see, there's plenty of variation and most of those shots are 1991. Like the above, find the road number you want and chase down a prototype photo!

Date: 08/31/15 05:05
Author: rschonfelder

The photo behind the second link proves my memory correct which is kind of nice to know as I hit my 56th Birthday this week.  At least my memory is still there even though no one wants to employ someone at that age.

Rick

Date: 08/31/15 05:50

rschonfelder Wrote:
> The photo behind the second link proves my memory
> correct which is kind of nice to know as I hit my
> 56th Birthday this week.  At least my memory is
> still there even though no one wants to employ
> someone at that age.

All the photos pretty much confirm what I said in my last post, too: for 1990, pick models that LACK the nose window.

Date: 08/31/15 09:34
Author: hartrick24

Those are just so bad ass looking loco's. They would look good on the club layout in Ga...

Steve

Date: 08/31/15 10:41
Author: TCnR

Completely agree, they look like modernized F45's on an SD40-2 frame. Chased them on the Golden and Windermere areas (Sub??) when they first came out.

Maybe I should start work on my Kaslo Shops cast resin shell just to make sure Bowser gets their project completed.

hartrick24 Wrote:
> Those are just so bad ass looking loco's. They
> would look good on the club layout in Ga...
>
>
> Steve

Date: 08/31/15 12:42
Author: tsokolan

I remember back in the early 1990's when the SD40-2F was the most modern motive power in CP's fleet. Back then, a bunch of us fans would head west of Calgary to Field BC, grab a line up sheet from the station and head out to shoot anything with a 9000 on the point. The "barns" lead on most of the Locotrol equipped freights heading west, and they stood out in the fleet of SD40 models. The sandhouse rumor at the time was some exec with CP had his nose broken on a 9000 after someone tried to exit through the nose door while he was standing on the front platform. Don't know if there was any truth to the story, but the barns started to show up around 1995 with the port hole window modification. Here's a couple samples:

#1 9020 without window, September 10 1994 Field BC
#2 9021 without window June 17 1995 Field BC

-Trevor

Date: 08/31/15 12:43

#3 9001 with porthole. June 18 1995 Ottertail BC
#4 9024 with porthole June 17 1995 Field BC

-Trevor

Date: 08/31/15 15:09

OK, that brings up my final question: I know I saw quite a few of those on the east end of the system from about 2000 onward, but during their initial years, did the SD40-2Fs ever stray east of Alberta? Or were they pretty much confined to the coal pool, along with the newest SD40-2s delivered before them?

Date: 08/31/15 16:02

When new, the barns were assigned to Calgary and since they had the latest generation of Locotrol, were used on bulk commodity trains (grain, coal, sulphur). When new, they were initially rejected by CP due to issues with the prime movers, all were cycled back to London for repairs. It's possible some units strayed east, I'm sure there are photos somewhere! When the GE's started to show up, the 9000's were demoted to the general freight pool, and I did read somewhere the Locotrol gear was removed or de activated on some units.
Trevor

Date: 08/31/15 18:10
Author: nsscot

http://www.cprdieselroster.com  

web site will help  some photos have dates  to when port holes installed  

Don

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 18:24 by nsscot.

Date: 08/31/15 19:09
Author: Finderskeepers

toledopatch Wrote:
> OK, that brings up my final question: I know I saw
> quite a few of those on the east end of the system
> from about 2000 onward, but during their initial
> years, did the SD40-2Fs ever stray east of
> Alberta? Or were they pretty much confined to the
> coal pool, along with the newest SD40-2s delivered
> before them?

They sure did, ran quite a bit in Southern Ontario freight service.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/05/15 21:14
Author: egonzinc

Just received an email announcing that Bowser will produce iirc 5 different versions of these " Red Barns"!
Great news!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds