Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Canadian Chip Gons

Date: 11/27/15 19:49
Canadian Chip Gons
Author: exrtc

Hi there, Canadian  modellers.   I am looking for chip gons, either CN, CP or BC Rail.  Does anyone know of such a thing?  I  have a few Walthers and LBF models,  but am looking for more cars.

Chris Rye

Date: 11/27/15 20:20
Re: Canadian Chip Gons
Author: TCnR

BC Rail chip cars were made as cast resin cars by Kaslo Shops a few years ago. I bought a number at Central Hobbies in Vancouver, they still list them but I don't know if they are really available.

My understanding is that CN bought a number of used Milwaukee Chip cars, so the Walthers car would be appropriate for the CN, if you can find them.

Date: 11/27/15 20:27

Thanks,

Chris

Date: 11/27/15 20:51
Author: rschonfelder

CP used their gondola cars with extensions on top.  I think that the Rapido gon could be used and halfway wonder if that is on the cards as a future release/

Rick

Date: 11/27/15 20:56

I actually suggested this to them a couple of years ago, with some photos attached, but nothing came of it. It seems to me that this is a little modelled Canadian prototype.

Chris

Date: 11/28/15 04:53
Author: SteveTuff

Chris
My dad and I are BC Rail modellers and have built about a dozen or so models of different version of chip cars. Kaslo built these cars and also a small company out of toronto called Fraser Valley Models built them as well. I can see if my dad has a number for the company in Toronto. When Rapido brought out the gondola my dad was saying it is a very close to the kitbashed whhod chip car, have not built any yet but have plans to do half a dozen or so.

Steve Tuff
Hamilton, Ontario

Date: 11/28/15 07:13
Author: tsokolan

Both the Kaslo and the Fraser Valley Models kits were of PGE/ BC Rail prototypes. The Fraser kit is out of production, however Kaslo is currently preparing to re run the chip cars soon. The later runs of the Kaslo kits were one piece resin bodies (early run was a flat kit).

-Trevor

Date: 11/28/15 08:41
Author: TCnR

Good news about Kalso, have to look for those. Was also wondering about their Boxcars.

Forgot about Fraser Valley, they had a number of cast resin kits. I could never figure out the CPR in BC, they did make good use of their gondolas though.

Date: 11/29/15 14:05
Author: rapidotrains

Hi Chris,

We just haven't had the time yet. It's on our list...

-Jason

exrtc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually suggested this to them a couple of
> years ago, with some photos attached, but nothing
> came of it. It seems to me that this is a little
> modelled Canadian prototype.
>
> Chris
>
>  

Date: 11/30/15 14:38

Thanks, Jason.  I'll take a dozen!

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds