Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > More benchwork madness in Redding CA.

Date: 11/28/15 21:05
More benchwork madness in Redding CA.
Author: dmaffei

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3889052,3889052#msg-3889052
Continuing from this PhotoBob thread on the Shasta layout in Redding California
1) Base plywood for the helix is completely installed and bench work frame is anchored to the wall of building with lags. Square hole seen in photo is for an 85 foot turntable Rick built many years ago and wanted to put to use in staging yard. Now that 3/4 birch plywood is set in place, helix can be "dialed in" and set in permanent location. Helix will used to drop trains down from upper level which will be Black Butte area to staging yard below.
2) Shows view of bench work for staging installed on lower level. The steel "L" bracket that has glove on it at top right is what will be used to hold bench work on Black Butte level above staging yard. These will be installed after staging yard trackage is in.
3) Bench work for staging yard curve at corner of room opposite of helix taking shape.

Date: 11/28/15 21:10
Re: More benchwork madness in Redding CA.

4) View of plywood being sized for corner section with spline being used to get correct curve to fit radius.
5 and 6) finished plywood in place before being anchored.
Until the next work party...

Date: 11/28/15 21:26
Author: photobob

You guys do good work.

Date: 11/29/15 05:28
Author: BandOblades

Hi,

Just a few questions on the helix:  What was the gradient you used?  Did you build EXACTLY to the plans from ashlin?  And the last one, so no other support or bracing at the angled corner that will be a main support for the helix once it's installed and "dialed in"?  Won't there be a natural sag, or at least a weak spot, from the way it looks in the pics?

Thanks,

Jason

Date: 11/29/15 06:05
Author: algoma11

I don't know about madness but that is some great looking tablework !

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 11/29/15 08:02
Author: BAB

Looks like there are one bys under it both towards the camera and one just clear of the wall in the rear. Am intrested in the fact that nothing was put on the block walls to prevent sweating. Is this a basement by chance? By the way I have a simalar arrangment for my turntable on my layout with about the same bracing under it the top is 3/4 ply with no problems. Boyd in Chiloquin.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Just a few questions on the helix:  What was the
> gradient you used?  Did you build EXACTLY to the
> plans from ashlin?  And the last one, so no other
> support or bracing at the angled corner that will
> be a main support for the helix once it's
> installed and "dialed in"?  Won't there be a
> natural sag, or at least a weak spot, from the way
> it looks in the pics?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/15 08:03 by BAB.

Date: 11/29/15 08:47
Author: superchief73

How exciting that must be. Carrying out your master plan! 

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 11/29/15 10:48
Author: hartrick24

Are you a professional carpenter, if not it sure looks like it. Outstanding work...

Steve

Date: 11/29/15 11:44
Author: Santafes95

I can smell the lumber right now. One of the fun stages of model railroadingm watching your plan getting closer to reality. It is amzing all of the skills involved in building a model railroad and none more important than building the benchwork. Nice job. Enjoy the process and try to be patient.

Date: 11/29/15 12:31
Re: More bench-work madness in Redding CA.
Author: northridgeswitcher

Great work thanks for sharing.

I have always believed that a strong foundation pays many dividends through all parts of the layout processing including the most important two, great operation and little if any long-term issues.

Keep up the good work.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 11/29/15 21:23

Jason,
The Helix was built EXACTLY to Ashlin plans with all the material supplied by them. This is their newest designs with a larger radius and MDF material. As I said, the grade will be 1.8 percent. The upright supports are not glued in place yet. When the helix is in the exact spot it will sit, the uprights will be adjusted to give the correct even gradient, then glued to the MDF to tie it all together. I can assure you, after helping put this together with the owner Rick, there will be absolutely no sag with no other bracing needed... Even if we run scale weight locomotives over it .

Block Wall
The block wall seen in the photo was built to allow the building to be built against a small hill side allowing for virtually no afternoon sun on this building helping with the rooms amazing ability to keep a constant even temperature. The room has museum quality climate control. For those of us who have worked on model railroads that allow huge temperature swings (my beloved NAPA club) we know the problems that can arise in the track work. Who doesn't want to be comfortable while running trains? The wall is a fully engineered wall with double vapor barrier (as with the cement floors) and plenty of drain rock. The city of Redding building inspector insisted on this.

Yes, part of the fun of model railroading is building the bench work if you enjoy working with wood. I do, but enjoy working on the models more when I have the time. I need to figure out how to get more of that...

BandOblades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a few questions on the helix:  What was the
> gradient you used?  Did you build EXACTLY to the
> plans from ashlin?  And the last one, so no other
> support or bracing at the angled corner that will
> be a main support for the helix once it's
> installed and "dialed in"?  Won't there be a
> natural sag, or at least a weak spot, from the way
> it looks in the pics?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0781 seconds