Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Model Railroading > Cheap Kits in today's world - Scale Trains

Date: 01/31/16 09:53
Cheap Kits in today's world - Scale Trains
Author: wheel_slip

It's been a long time since I put together a "kit". In all honesty I am one of the people who want the intricately detailed model that I can weather and add to the layout without a ton of time invested in the model. But, I remember when the majority of my models required some sort of assembly before being placed in service. Sadly those models have found there way to the surplus box, simply because they don't hold up to comparison with models built with current quality tooling...
So, I was browsing the shelves at the local hobby shop a few weeks ago and this model caught my eye. First, because it was the first item from Scale Trains (scaletrains.com) that I could see in anything but pictures and videos and then because it was a kit that looked like a quality model of today's standards. Yes, the details are molded on to the car, but they are so crisp and well done that they can hold up to very close scrutiny. I was really impressed. The price tag of around 14.00 minus 20% (sale) and it was too nice to pass up.
I really like the way these "kits" go together. All you have to do is put the floor, trucks and couplers on and the car is ready to go. I decided to dirty this model up a bit before putting it together and honestly liked being able to do the work before putting it together. I decided to "tag" one side of the car only, because I get tired of seeing the crap on the equipment and all I have to do is flip the car and it looks like a different car...
Two thumbs up for Scale Trains "Kit Classics" Evans (USRE) 5100 RBL Double Plug Door Boxcar "kit"

Andy

Date: 01/31/16 10:10
Re: Cheap Kits in today's world - Scale Trains
Author: wabash2800

Andy:

You are absolutely right, you can't really tell it has molded on details and your weathering has helped that effect too. Wow, you can't beat it for that price and the fact that its easier to build than highly detailed (fragile kits with seperate parts). I have no affiliation with Scale Trains, I'd like to see something like that in my early 1950s era.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/16 12:35 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/31/16 11:11
Author: ghemr

Perfect weathering! May I ask who makes the graffiti?

Date: 01/31/16 11:35
Author: icancmp193

I ordered 4 of them. I wonder where they are?
Oh, I see on their web site my order (originally placed in November) is "unfulfilled".

Tom Y

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/16 11:49 by icancmp193.

Date: 01/31/16 11:49
Author: fbe

I saw these at Whistle Stop Trains in Portland yesterday. They looked really nice for detail and finish.

If it had been any other car I probably would have taken a couple home. I just have so many variants of this car which have been done before I cannot justify any more in the collection. What's the next kit, Scale Trains?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/31/16 13:06
Author: judahrice

I picked mine up yesterday. Love 'em. Really great cars, and I can't wait to see what else they will have to offer. I already might need a tank car from them!

Date: 01/31/16 14:15
Author: Jimmies

Nice job on the grimy weathering!

Jim

Date: 01/31/16 14:53
Author: philhoov

I ordered three of them and got them within three days, which amazed me.
I put them together today.
Took a little more time for the first one, then the other two went more quickly.
They roll nice and smooth and were a bargain at about $14/each.
I'm not into building my rolling stock, but this was easy and they look really nice.
Phil

Date: 01/31/16 17:43
Author: NSTopHat

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I ordered 4 of them. I wonder where they are?
> Oh, I see on their web site my order (originally
> placed in November) is "unfulfilled".
>
> Tom Y

Tom

It depends on what roadnames you ordered. There were two releases announced at nearly the same time. Cars in the first run are BN, B&M, C&NW, Tropicana, WC, Weyerhaeuser, UP and one or two others that escape me at this moment. The second round of cars should be here within a month.

Regards
Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/16 17:44 by NSTopHat.

Date: 01/31/16 18:01
Author: Chad

Nice looking cars and great weathering, except for the graffiti, just ordered all three of the BN versions. This should be fun.

Date: 01/31/16 20:54
Author: grahamline

Supposed to be a Willamette Industries car. Have them on order, but haven't received them. Any more information on the first round of weathering for the BN car in the photos?

Date: 02/01/16 06:15
Author: SPDRGWfan

Anyone have any prototype photo's for the BN car?  FallenFlags doesn't list any box cars in that number series, but the photo list there isn't fully complete and exhausitve.  For example I tried to look up the Tangent GN bulkhead number on fallen flats, not came up but Tangent had a prototype photo on their website to prove it was a model copy of a real freight car.  Anyone have photo's of of this ScaleTrains models?  (not all of the ScaleTrains box cars are necessarily painted after real box cars - for example I've never been able to find a Rio Grande version - Jim Eagers book doesn't show any but as some say, never say never, but I'm 99% sure on that one.

Date: 02/01/16 12:41
Author: funnelfan

Andy, what did you use to weather the car? I've been looking for a good way to do a weathering wash that doesn't leave water marks. You did a excellent job bringing out all the details.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/02/16 07:58
Author: wheel_slip

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andy, what did you use to weather the car? I've
> been looking for a good way to do a weathering
> wash that doesn't leave water marks. You did a
> excellent job bringing out all the details.

Ted, Sorry for the delay at replying.... The BN boxcar was done with A.I.M. Weathering Solutions "Quick Age" solution. I do three or four washes with the stuff, with the last one or two using only downward strokes with the brush. I let each wash dry for a day or at least several hours.
If I want a smooth cleaner look, I will use a paper towel moistened with rubbing alcohol to smooth out the effect using downward wipes. Then I use a q-tip moistened with rubbing alcohol to "clean off the nooks and cranny's as well as the ladder and hand rails (as if handled by people with gloves on a lot...

Does this help?

Andy

Date: 02/02/16 21:02
Author: funnelfan

wheel_slip Wrote:
-Ted, Sorry for the delay at replying.... The BN
> boxcar was done with A.I.M. Weathering Solutions
> "Quick Age" solution. I do three or four washes
> with the stuff, with the last one or two using
> only downward strokes with the brush. I let each
> wash dry for a day or at least several hours.
> If I want a smooth cleaner look, I will use a
> paper towel moistened with rubbing alcohol to
> smooth out the effect using downward wipes. Then I
> use a q-tip moistened with rubbing alcohol to
> "clean off the nooks and cranny's as well as the
> ladder and hand rails (as if handled by people
> with gloves on a lot...
>
> Does this help?

Thanks, I will look into that!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/16 23:29 by funnelfan.

Date: 02/04/16 17:21
Author: Chad

I just received the three BN cars I ordered. First off, very fast shipping. As for the cars, I am really impressed, for the money you can not go wrong. I am really looking forward to weathering and putting these together.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0791 seconds