Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Model Railroading > Railgon in modern day scrap service

Date: 04/14/16 21:29
Railgon in modern day scrap service
Author: MrMRL

A few days ago at my local hobby shop Railmaster Hobbies, I found an HO scale Athearn RTR (upgraded ex MDC) 52' gon lettered for Railgon. Along with the gon I picked up a MoTrak scrap load sized specifically for the Athearn gon. I was inspired a bit by a post on the Western discussion a couple months back showing that these cars are still out and about today...

The modern day prototype pic of a freshly repainted car... http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3953197

• The gondola, trucks, and wheels were dabbed, highlighted, and generally weathered up with several different colors of Testors weathering paint pens, along with a couple thin washes of brownish acrylic paints.
• The grabs (black on the stock model) were painted TTX yellow to match the contemporary prototypes pics I've seen.
• Then the paltry MDC era brake wheel and housing was scraped off and replaced with a more robust set from Details West, complete with brake wheel chain hanging down as well.
• Microscale yellow FRA-224 stripes were finally applied along with a couple rattle-can passes of Dullcote to seal the deal.
• The MoTrak load was then attended to with little splashes of extra color here and there. I think I went through 11 different colors of acrylic paint to spice up the original rusty red load.
• The load was then boosted up, sitting now on top of two .080x.250 strips of styrene to raise it up 1/4" closer to the lip of the gon.
• Kadee #119s with upper shelf trimmed off completed the model for the picture you see below.

Pic also added here...
http://www.pbase.com/mrmrl/ho_freight_cars

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 04/15/16 01:53
Re: Railgon in modern day scrap service
Author: 55002

Great work, there. Your coloring of the load has certainly increased the '3D' effect. chris uk

Date: 04/15/16 04:08
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice job on the Railgon and the load looks spot on!

Cheers, Jim

Date: 04/15/16 06:54
Author: tgcostello

Nice work Robby!
TC

Date: 04/15/16 07:14
Author: grandeguy

Nice job! Very inspiring.

Regards, Dave Dane

Date: 04/15/16 07:51
Author: binder001

really nice piece of modeling and well photographed.  That looks like a fun project.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 04/15/16 11:06
Author: funnelfan

I made some of the same upgrades last year. That handbrake needs to be changed out for sure. Don't forget to beat up the grab irons and brake wheel. :^D
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3846922,3846922#msg-3846922

Posted from Android

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/15/16 11:34
Author: ghemr

That is very nice work! In your spare time can you provide the Motrac stock number?

Date: 04/15/16 13:35

CSX_ENG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is very nice work! In your spare time can you
> provide the Motrac stock number?

MTK-81212 (Rusted Scrap Load for Athearn / MDC 52' Gondola)
https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/509-81212

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 04/15/16 14:23
Author: SPDRGWfan

Yes, to load really "pops" with the extra colors and higher level!

Date: 04/15/16 19:21
Author: navarch2

Absolutely a great job on the scrap load.....will have to try it......nice job :)

Bob

Date: 04/16/16 02:39
Author: Hookdragkick

Yup, still out and about! Last one I seen was filled 1/3 of the way with 3" -ish steel ball bearings. Heavy bugger.

Good job on the gon and attention to detail.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/16/16 07:38

Thanks for the kind words, folks. My next canvas (a big 'ol GTW 86' boxcar) will be arriving in the mail next week...

Mr. MRL

Date: 04/16/16 10:47
Author: ghemr

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the kind words, folks. My next canvas
> (a big 'ol GTW 86' boxcar) will be arriving in the
> mail next week...
>
> Mr. MRL

I trust you have plenty of grafitti decals??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds