Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Parts for Old Athearn Kits

Date: 04/20/16 06:09
Parts for Old Athearn Kits
Author: Sailorderrick

Evening Gents,

I am trying to track down bolsters for old "Blue Box" Athearn Maxi III and Maxi I kits. As you are no doubt aware, these articulated joints have a real tendency to break and I need a bunch
of male and female units.  If anyone knows where I can source some, that would be great!

Date: 04/20/16 07:56
Re: Parts for Old Athearn Kits
Author: binder001

First, I assume you are referring to the "post" and "cup" for the articulated joints.  When I have a broken part I use a small piece of wire to reinforce the "cup".  You have to drill and glue carefully to not screw up the inside surface of the "cup" (remember that needs to swivel freely).  For the "post" I just cut off the remainder of the "post" and carefully drill through the truck mounting screw hole.  I then mount a longer 2-56 truck screw so that the end of the screw forms a new "post".  You might have to widen the corresponding hole in the "cup" side to get free swivel.  You might just end up with a stronger joint than before.  Since Athearn rarely carries parts for some of the older items, then you are off to eBay to either find extra parts from somebody's stash or a used car of similar design that you can use as a parts donor.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 04/20/16 17:54
Author: MrMRL

Have you tried parts@athearn.com? There may be a couple day delay for a response, but it should be a good starting point.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 04/20/16 20:56
Author: trainupaboy

PM me there's a guy in Kansas City that will have what you need

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds