Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Model Railroading > 3 Questions about ScaleTrains Evans 5100 boxcars

Date: 04/19/16 15:03
3 Questions about ScaleTrains Evans 5100 boxcars
Author: BN7023

I assembled title models. And three questions arise.

1) The piston of the brake cylinder do not face the B end.
It is different from the thing that I've learned.

2) The air reservoir and the control valve are too far from the brake cylinder.
The brake air pressure may be related to the length of the connecting pipes.

3) The B-end truck can not roll to the left and right.
This is because, the B-end body bolster has two projections. I think that this tends to derail. Tank cars released together don't have these  projections.

In the first photo, the front is ScaleTrains, the middle is Atlas, and the back is Details West.

Please give me any advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/16 15:14 by BN7023.

Date: 04/19/16 15:27
Re: 3 Questions about ScaleTrains Evans 5100 boxcars
Author: Hookdragkick

I wonder if thise little nubs on the bolster body are their take on Constant Contact Side Bearings?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/16 16:19

The next photo is the contact situation for the nubs of body bolster and the truck bolster as side bearers.

In addition, the tank cars do not have the pull rod for the A-end truck, the second photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/16 16:55 by BN7023.

Date: 04/19/16 16:26
Author: wnehoc

Many (including me) aim for a "3 point suspension" where one truc is alowed to swivel only, and the other turck can swivel and rock.  It appears to me that the end with the nubs is the "swivel only" truck, and the other one should be loose enough to swivel and rock

Hookdragkick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if thise little nubs on the bolster body
> are their take on Constant Contact Side Bearings?
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/16 17:16
Author: fbe

Athearn's 40' boxcars had the brake cylinder on the wrong side of the centersill for decades. They may still be that way. It seems the layout drawings were to be read from the top of the floof down but Athearn interpreted these from the underside of the floor. Perhaps a similar goof slipped through once again.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/19/16 17:33
Author: funnelfan

That is a really bizarre layout for a boxcar brake system. That much distance between the triple valve and brake cyclinder can reduce the available braking forces.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/19/16 19:25
Author: retcsxcfm

I have worked on many cars and I have never seen a layout
like the one on Scale Trains.Usauly all brake parts are
close together.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/20/16 02:21
Author: funnelfan

Also, don't trim those nubs off the one bolster that has them. They are not causing derailments, just make sure the opposite truck does have some side to side play to handle track irregulaties. The key to good operations when it comes to trucks, is that while both should swivel freely, only one should have the ability to rock side ot side. The other truck should be fairly rigid in that regard. If both can rock freely, that leads to cars that lean and derail more frequently.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/20/16 03:27
Author: NSTopHat

BN7023 Wrote:
> The next photo is the contact situation for the
> nubs of body bolster and the truck bolster as side
> bearers.
>
> In addition, the tank cars do not have the pull
> rod for the A-end truck, the second photo.

In regards to teh ScaleRails tank car, you have purchased the "Operators' Series" cars. Those cars are less detailed than the "Rivet Counters" line, so there are less physical detals as well as less printing on the car.

I will be in Benton on Friday and will ask about the design of the box car underframe.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 04/20/16 04:16
Author: drolsen

BN7023 Wrote:
> 1) The piston of the brake cylinder do not face
> the B end.

It's possible that the floor is just flipped around 180 degrees. If you can find a prototype photo, see which side the air reservoir is located on in relation to the B end of the car. Having said that though, it does look like the brake cylinder is unusually far from the B end, which would require a really long rod to run from the brake wheel to the brake lever / cylinder.

Dave

Date: 04/20/16 04:50
Author: Lighter

> 1) The piston of the brake cylinder do not face
> the B end.
> It is different from the thing that I've learned.
>
> 2) The air reservoir and the control valve are too
> far from the brake cylinder.
> The brake air pressure may be related to the
> length of the connecting pipes.

Here is a prototype photo showing that ScaleTrains placement of the brake components is right for the car.
http://bit.ly/1SawNhJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/16 04:52 by Lighter.

Date: 04/20/16 07:27
2 additional questions about the brake rigging

Thanks your replies, especially for Lighter's material information.

If so, two further questions arise.

4) The 2 pull strengths for A and B trucks are equal?

5) How does the hand-wheel chain (rod?) pull from B-end?

Date: 04/20/16 09:02
Re: 2 additional questions about the brake rigging
Author: fbe

If the brakewheel were moved to the same side, opposite end all the connections would be correct. The lengths of the rods, especially from the brake wheel connection to the brake cylinder would be exceptionally long.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/16 10:54
Re: 2 additional questions about the brake rigging
Author: Lighter

> The lengths of the rods, especially from the brake
> wheel connection to the brake cylinder would be
> exceptionally long.

Going from the prototype photo the brake wheel connection is rather short.  In the first photo in this thread the brakewheel should be to the right.  The "oddly" placed components are the cylinder and valve being at the far end.  What's throwing this discussion out of kilter is that the underframe cushion mechanism is vague on the model.  I'm guessing that the brake parts are located where plumbing can cross through the frame.  Also, the levers and rodding on the model don't seem to match the photos of the car.  For example, the final rod to the truck brakes comes from a vertical lever on the prototype.  I can't tell from studying photos how the hand brake is connected to the cylinder.  Never the less, I've now looked at a whole bunch of cars and the brake appliance layout on the model matches - somehow the hand brake works for the prototype!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/16 11:18 by Lighter.

Date: 04/20/16 15:31
Author: oc-randy

Please note that some of these cars were built with a Hydra-Cushion underframe and had a more clustered brake arrangement as a result. While the photo is dark, it can be blown up to reveal part profiles. Cars with the center cushioning found on the Scale Trains model use the correct arrangement.

Date: 04/22/16 16:56
Author: NSTopHat

When I was at ScaleTrains today in Benton, I asked Paul Ellis about the underframe on this car. He said it is a Keystone Cushion underframe and that they went off of the Evans drawings they have on file for this particular underframe design. And yes, the brake cylinder does point in the opposite direction of normal design with this prototype.

Regards
Russ Goodwin

Date: 04/26/16 07:26

Thank you for the valuable information.
I think trying to study the future more.
If there is to meet with him again, please tell him that I'm the person who has e-mail about that universal joint at the end of last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/16 05:44 by BN7023.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds