Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Model Railroading > A fun lighting project on the layout.....

Date: 04/21/16 00:12
A fun lighting project on the layout.....
Author: markloos

Hi guys.  Finally getting around to installing some more lighting on the layout. The project was to replace the PLASTIC gooseneck lamp on the office behind the Roundhouse. Clipped off the plastic one, drilled out the plastic in the hole.  Installed all METAL gooseneck lamp equipped with a micro LED.   These little suckers can really throw out some light!  Installed a 1K ohm resister in series to tone it down a little.
  1. First photo is the finished installation shown in ambient lighting with the gooseneck OFF
  2. Second photo is same shot in ambient lighting with the gooseneck ON
  3. Third photo is same shot with “moonlight running conditions – enough lighting to run comfortable operations but simulating a moonlight night. 
The whole project took about two hours to complete with the most difficult part being the soldering of the wiring which is about the size of a thread…… but if old “bad eyes, shaky hands Mark” can do it anyone can.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I’m really pleased with the outcome!    I’ve identified around 10 more locations on the layout that are just begging for one of these.
Now if I can just keep those pesky raccoons out of the trash bin…….Mark    <>< Micro-Ferrous-Equineologist (He who studies the Miniature Iron Horse)

Date: 04/21/16 03:26
Re: A fun lighting project on the layout.....
Author: calsubd

Great effect Mark, Kudo's !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/21/16 04:41
Author: RGDave

Excellent work!

I'd be intersted in knowing the manufacturer of the LED you used, that is a great effect.  I could use about 25 of those!  

~RGDave
Modeling Conrail in Central New York in 1994
http://www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 04/21/16 06:49
Author: binder001

NIce effect.  I see that Woodland Scenics will be releasing about the same light in their Just Plug series, that really ought to simplify things for many of us.  Your photos are first-rate!

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 04/21/16 08:26
Author: navarch2

RGDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent work!
>
> I'd be intersted in knowing the manufacturer of
> the LED you used, that is a great effect.  I
> could use about 25 of those!  
>
> ~RGDave
> Modeling Conrail in Central New York in 1994
> http://www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

...at last count 110 of them needed between two blast furnaces and a dozen other building exteriors in the steel mill...do those come as integrated/prewired shade/support and LED in one?

Bob

Date: 04/21/16 08:52
Author: Cotton_Belt1962

Looks fantastic, great effect....

Date: 04/21/16 09:19

Hey, guys.  Thanks for the kind words.  I'll try to answer all your questions in detail, but have to run to a meeting right now.   Stay tuned.....   Mark  <>< 

Date: 04/21/16 11:54

Hi guys.  OK, I’m on a lunch break so I’ll respond to Gary’s thoughts first.  Woodland Scenics is an excellent company and makes great products.  (Disclaimer – I am a Model Railroader first and foremost - for more than 60 years - but I am also a dealer and sell WH)   That being said, the WH offering at 2 for $15 is good.  It is designed to operate within the “Just Plug” system which is sold separately and that is another whole discussion.   The WH Gooseneck offering is, however, apparently designed and angled for “immediate sign lighting”.  Think “Clyde & Dale’s Barrel Factory” and may not be completely appropriate for industrial down lighting  .  See photos     Got to get back to the meeting - more to come    Mark  <><

Date: 04/21/16 15:37
Author: Cumberland

Fantastic work!

It makes me want to watch to movie, All the President's Men, about the Deep Throat story, due to its dim lighting in the parking garage scenes!

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/16 15:39 by Cumberland.

Date: 04/21/16 20:06

Info for Bob and RGDave – These can be purchased as “kits” directly from Walthers at $33.95 pkg of 8 ea.  That’s  under 5 bucks each.   HOWEVER, and it’s BIG HOWEVER, these are “craftsman” kits and if you need to build assembly jigs, etc.   If you guys are good at this and have the skill set this would be the way to go.   Because I don’t have these skills, I have a fellow that builds them for me at a total price of around 15 bucks each.  He does quality work and I am very pleased.  They also can be adjusted for “immediate sign lighting if needed.  I purchase them in lots of 10 and am willing to pass them along in quantities of 1-2 to the guys in our group for my cost.   So… for one or two units, used in very obvious up front scenery situations it’s worth the “craftsman quality” pricing – especially if you take close up photos!  The previous photos show the regular “industrial look” white lamps, but you can also get “warm white” for a little more atmosphere of an older area.   Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need more info.   Mark  <><

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2405 seconds