Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Model Railroading > Progress Photos - 2016 Penn Central

Date: 04/23/16 08:45
Progress Photos - 2016 Penn Central
Author: navarch2

I have been doing a lot of trackwork and wiring but have been remiss in posting images...so today I'll do a tour around the room periphery (loop) that is in place - next to build will be the 5 peninsulas....

In the first pictures I will be showing the progress on the "Adirondack Specialty Steel Corp." integrated mill which will occupy most of the long wall  on one side of the room (about 61 ft long). It will have 2 blast furnaces, 2 electric furnaces, a basic oxygen furnace (2 units) with an attached continuous caster (scratchbuilt), 4 rolling mills, a foundry, casting building and a large fab shop. Both blast furnaces will be served by a high line with bulk stock behind it.

Picture 1 shows the trackwork in place for Blast Furnace #1, and second picture shows the trackwprk in place now for BF #2. The final length pof the tracks will be determined once the blast furnace models are completed enough to allow that.

Picture 3 shows long view of both furnace track locations...

More to come tonight....

Bob

Date: 04/23/16 10:10
Re: Progress Photos - 2016 Penn Central
Author: boejoe

Always great to see this layout progress.  How did those Santa Fe units make it deep inside Penn Central territory to the far northeast?

Date: 04/23/16 11:16
Author: shadetree

Model railroad magic. ;)

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 04/23/16 14:03

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always great to see this layout progress.  How
> did those Santa Fe units make it deep inside Penn
> Central territory to the far northeast?

They are on a Montreal/LA empty reefer train....likely robbed from ATSF at Streator, IL :)

Bob

Date: 04/23/16 14:07

Thank you....the real magic will come in trying to beat up the steel mill track enough to be believeable...while making it work well enough to prevent derailments.  The wiring is going on simultaneously....adding terminal joiners as the main feeders while soldering individual feeders as well with a resistance soldering unit.....more pictures below :) Bob

Date: 04/23/16 14:16

So here are more images as we round the outer "loop".....picture 1 is the mainline looking railroad south - the steel mill will be off to the right.

Picture 2 shows the laser-cut 3D lettering that will adorn one of the rolling mill building sides.

Picture 3 is CP266 and the Norwood & South Massena Railway yard located on the north end of the mill complex.This yard is about 90% installed now. The tracks to the left at an angle are tracks leading into rolling mill and foundry background buildings. CP266 is the set of crossovers  and beyond.

More to come....

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/16 14:20 by navarch2.

Date: 04/23/16 14:29

Continuing railroad-north...

Picturre 1 is taken at CP LAW, which  is on the north side of the Grass River bridge, The industry under construction is a calcium carbonate plant. The reefers starting with the blue one, are running over the main switch into St Lawrence Yard...located at the extreme south end of the yard. Yes, the "New Haven" GP40 is going to be black-patched :)

Picture 2 behind me and to my left at a place called CP SW which is the southern alternate entrance/exit from the yard. The picture looks railroad-south. The "rip-track" is off to the right where the 0-5-0 can reach it for now....most of the rolling stock made a move from my office and there was the inevitable damage to deal with...

Picture 3  is taken at CP NE, which is the northern alternate entrance and exit for the yard. The picture looks railroad-north. Beyond it towards the center of the picture you can see the curved inboaund track which is "main" route into the yard.The track peeling off to the right is a branch line going into Peninsula 1...

More to come in a few hours....

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/16 14:38 by navarch2.

Date: 04/23/16 14:47

Here are a few more from St. Lawrence Yard...as it sits in these pictures there are 514 cars in it.....

Picture 1 is CP 110 the main yartd entrance from the south....looking railroad-north.The branch mentioned above is curving around toward the left.

Picture 2 is looking railroad-north at the yard ladder....

Picture 3 is looking railroad north from CP SW at part of the engine facility and the yard.

More to come later...

Bob

Date: 04/23/16 15:13
Author: SPDRGWfan

I spy an MDT Vert-a-pac from ExactRail's recent batch!

Enjoy your updates!  Cheers, Jim

Date: 04/23/16 15:27

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> I spy an MDT Vert-a-pac from ExactRail's recent
> batch!
>
> Enjoy your updates!  Cheers, Jim

I have no idea how to explain those excpt that perhaps they are moving Cooper Minis or Smart Cars (2 per bay) from a Canadian auto plant?  I like the look of the cars...so...there they are....explanations later :)

Bob

Date: 04/23/16 18:04
Author: TCnR

Thanks for the show. I like the look of the calcium carbonate plant, nice curve and setting.

Date: 04/23/16 21:08

TCnR Wrote:
> Thanks for the show. I like the look of the
> calcium carbonate plant, nice curve and setting.

Thank you...lots more to do on that plant, most notably an entire wall to be designed and placed.....

I like mainlines and branches that run at an angle to the front of the layout and prefer convex curves  to concave ones in some spots. Part of being a ship designer :)

Bob

Date: 04/23/16 23:13
Author: DynamicBrake

Looks like a great looking layout in the making.  The distance from the edge of the facia to the far side of St Lawrence yard looks like a LONGGG reach. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 04/24/16 05:08
Author: iaisfan

Impressive work Bob!  You're making great progress!  I can't imagine the crew size you're going to need to run this.  Your ops will be so big that you might have to consider including a union rep as one position. ;-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 04/25/16 18:53

DynamicBrake Wrote:
> Looks like a great looking layout in the making. 
> The distance from the edge of the facia to the far
> side of St Lawrence yard looks like a LONGGG
> reach. Thanks for sharing your progress.
>
> Kent in CArmel Valley

It is about 38" deep...you can reach the rear tracks on a single 12" step-up. The layout height is 55 inches....I will likely build-in steps at the yard laddrer and near the engine terminal.

......you are most welcome for the pictures :)

Date: 04/25/16 19:00

iaisfan Wrote:
> Impressive work Bob!  You're making great
> progress!  I can't imagine the crew size you're
> going to need to run this.  Your ops will be so
> big that you might have to consider including a
> union rep as one position. ;-)

Oh geez......union crews in HO? :)  I am thinking I need a dozen people to operate as I want to operate once the entire layout is functional. I and a single friend can make a lot of trains appear and disappear ....:) 

The staging will be under the layout reached via two helices...one on each end.I am likely 3 years from any serious operational plan....for now I'm testing the layout and deciding what CAN be done :)

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.107 seconds