Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > NAR caboose bash.

Date: 04/25/16 11:48
NAR caboose bash.
Author: fbe

Has anyone done this project?

I bought a used bay window of Varney or Marx heritage and the proportions look good once the bay windows are scratchbuilt and steel sides are replaced with plywood. The side windows seem correct to insert into the sides and the ends can remain.

There are some good internet photos though nothing of the roof. After the NAR rebuild was the peaked roof finished with sheet metal or smooth rolled roofing? The model has a ribbed steel roof with roofwalks cast on so it would be nice if I could just file and sand off all details and retain the smooth roof.

Thanks.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/25/16 13:11
Re: NAR caboose bash.
Author: kgmontreal

You might post the question on the Canadian Discussion as well.  Member arwye was a longtime Alberta resident.

KG

Date: 04/25/16 13:12
Author: bnsfsd70

Got any pictures to post here?

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 04/25/16 13:21

Search "northern Alberta railway caboose" and scroll down to the block of photos when they come up. Select each image for an enlargement.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/25/16 18:13
Author: tsokolan

Date: 04/25/16 18:48

Trevor,

This looks like the way to go for a professional quality model. I am guessing in the end there will be $150 or so involved but all details like the stove stack will be accurate.

Thanks for the link.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/28/16 08:22
Author: tsokolan

A freind of mine removed the roofwalk on a factory painted NAR Athearn bay window caboose. Although not 100% prototypical, it did improve the looks of the model and makes a decent stand in. Miniatures by Eric produced a resin kit for the NAR van several years ago, but I think it is currently out of production

-Trevor

Date: 04/28/16 09:40

Trevor,

There was an Athearn NAR bay window caboose at the Calgary Free-mo set up at Supertrain which looked pretty good but was too long.

My $5 model is a Varney which has nice proportions though the bay window is too big. Most of that needs to come off anyway. I think aircraft plywood can be used to represent the prototype sides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/16 09:41 by fbe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds