Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Model Railroading > HO Scale SD40-2s, best and worst of what's available

Date: 04/25/16 19:09
HO Scale SD40-2s, best and worst of what's available
Author: myoungwisc

So with the (recent) multiple releases of the EMD SD40-2 in HO scale, what is the consensus in terms of ahdherance to the prototype?  My understanding is that Athearn's offering continues ignore the truck centering issues found on earlier models and the Intermountain offering has better truck spacing but comes with issues on the hood.  Has Bowser come to the rescue with their model - albeit in GMDD form?  Inquiring minds...

-Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/16 19:11 by myoungwisc.

Date: 04/25/16 19:22
Re: HO Scale SD40-2s, best and worst of what's available
Author: chitownjeff

BLI and Bachman also makes a 40-2, I don't own one so I can't say good or bad

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/16 19:36 by chitownjeff.

Date: 04/25/16 20:21
Author: RuleG

Kato also produces an SD40-2, but detailed and decorated for very few railroads.  Currently BN and AT & SF versions are offered.  CN and BNSF have been produced in the past.

Others will have to chime on their experiences with the Kato SD4O-2s as I've never owned one.

Date: 04/25/16 21:30
Author: Espeenut

...ok, through the years I've had numerous Blue Box Athearn SD40-2's, in their day they were the only game in town. Then Kato came out with their offering, which at the time, blew the Athearn's out of the water, particularly with their gorgeously smooth and powerful drivetrains. They had an issue with their "improved" electrical pickup system for a bit and returned to the previous tried and true method. Athearn retooled their's a number of years ago, adding plastic handrails and tweaking the detailing, and now offering prototypical detailing, but they still have incorrect bolster spacing . Kato also retooled their SD40-2's, offering what they call the 'mid' production model. These have some prototypical detailing and much better headlights, along with finer scale handrailings and grabs when compared to the earlier versions. Intermountain came to the show a couple years ago with an all new model, some people heaped high praises on them and others heaped equal amounts of scorn, I personally don't care for them as there's areas where things just don't seem to fit or are slightly out of proportion. They were also called out for omitting visible portions of the traction motor covers - this has now been rectified.  I'm not a big fan of the Athearn units, I know they tweaked the detailing but the bolster spacing is visibly evident to my eye and I absolutely hate Athearn's light bulbs, so they're a no go for me...

...as for the GMD Canadian built versions from Bowser, I have several of them and they are absolutely amazing, beautifully and accurately detailed, excellent runners and the DCC LOKsound systems has the best sound I've ever heard from an HO scale diesel locomotive model. I have seven Kato SD40-2's - all but one are from the 'mid' production series. They have been further detailed and weathered to match particular engines and provide stalwart service on the layout with no problems at all. Personally I don't have any issues with my Kato's. The handrailings are "bigger" than others but much straighter and less flimsly and I think the level of detailing is fine - but that's me, your mileage may vary... Comparing the detailing of all of them, the Bowser is definitely the current "King of The Hill". I've only heard one criticism that is somewhat valid, depending on how critical your eyes are, and that from a modeler we often hear from on the forums, Dave Carr. Dave doesn't care for the dynamic brake housings on the Bowser units as the grills appear to be out of proportion to his eyes. As for me, I'll live with them. Bowser have already announced a second run of their
SD40-2, but again it is only for GMD models which were built in Ontario, Canada. I will be getting one more from the second run and at that point I think I'll have enough SD40-2's in my fleet...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

PS: I don't consider the offerings from BLI or Bachman to be much more than toys, they're simply not playing in the same game...!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/16 21:31 by Espeenut.

Date: 04/26/16 05:52
Author: binder001

Over the years there have been a number of iterations of the SD40-2.  Each has its goos and bad points (like any model).  When you are your criteria?  Some people go by the looks, so scale fidelity and proportion is their main focus.  Some folks want a "runner", a unit that may not have every dertail right but can be set on the track and be expected to work well.  Some folks want their models completely finished and ready to run right out of the box.  Some folks want a "basic" model that can be detailed.  Some folks judge the locomotive by sound/DCC that comes with it.  

GSB -  one the good news they pushed Athearn into improving his line, but despite years of advance advertising the model was a non-starter.  Produced in modest numbers, very light and with a poor reputation for reliability.  A relatively basic unit that required the addition of details.

Athearn - multiple versions and production runs.  First model from Athearn with a "scale width" hood.  Early one had the classic metal handrails, later changed to molded plastic. The originals were a very basic model and after market detail makers responded with many fine parts to dress them up.  The Athearn drive needs tweaking but is generally a good runner and puller.  Original motor tends to get hot after prolonged running.  Over the years Athearn has produced early and late radiator versions, "snoot" noses, "tuinnel motors", etc. For the guy who likes to detail or fine tune an older one can be picked up at reasonable cost.

Kato - a real runner!  Their handrails tend to be "clunky" but are pretty resiliant to handling.  As with the Athearn there are a lot of after market details that can be added to dress them up.  Two body styles offered.  As mentioned, they tried a different electrical pickup between the trucks and the motor leading to reliability problems in the first run of "snoot" versions.  

Bachmann - sorry but the first one wasn't even a good try and the next version wasn't really in competition with anyone else.

Intermountain - generally nice looking but a bit on the light side and they have received a reputation for bad motors.  The motor issue is being addressed by IM (so they say).  Sound seems good.

Bowser - haven't seen one in person yet but most reviews are positive.  I hope they expand the available road names as appropriate to the prototype.

So the "ultimate" SD40-2 still hasn't been made yet, despite a number of attempts.  

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 04/26/16 05:56
Author: navarch2

...what Lorne said.....

This mirrors my experience exactly. I need to build a fleet of a dozen or so SD40-2's and they will either by Kato or Bowser....for the reasons he cited....I currently have a dozen of the various roadname  Kato units and 4 Bowsers in CP Rail...one of the Kato units is painted for the fictional 2016 Penn Central....it is from the "Mid" run with LokSound...but I ended up replacing the orange headlight LED... (Seen in the 2nd picture below...)..fine runner.

Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/16 05:59 by navarch2.

Date: 04/26/16 06:20
Author: Atsf814

Have a Kato Santa Fe SD40-2 and it is beautiful and a great runner!

Date: 04/26/16 07:34
Author: sp8192

Kato.  Buy them decorated, strip them, throw some detail parts on them, paint/decal them and you have an amazing SD40-2.   I as well haven't tried the Bowser 40's but they sure do seem amazing!!

Date: 04/26/16 10:13
Author: fbe

Smokey Valley SD40-2 handrail sets seem to be reliably available one again so that will help your KATO upgrade program. Fine scale AND rugged handrails.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/26/16 14:00
Author: KA7008

Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the "incorrect" athearn trucks vs "correct" ones?

Date: 04/26/16 15:13
Author: Larry020

KA7008 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the
> "incorrect" athearn trucks vs "correct" ones?

You should start a new thread.  There is more than one incorrect truck.

Larry  

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Date: 04/26/16 15:21
Author: fbe

There is nothing wrong with the truck. The pair is just too close together and the loco sits a little high so the unit can negotiate 18" radius curves. Rail Power Products frames for their SD45-2 locomotives will correct both problems and I believe newer Athearn SD45-2/SD40-2 frames have as well.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/26/16 16:05
Author: judahrice

Kato is the best by far. 

I've also owned and/or operated Athearn, BLI, and Intermountain's models. 

I'd rank those - 

Athearn
Intermountain
BLI

I like the BLI model, but Paragon2 is a nightmare - I have had many instances where I'd be running my BLI SD40-2 and it randomly goes to full speed and jerks switching forwards and backwards. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds