Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Hustler replacement gears?

Date: 04/28/16 06:02
Athearn Hustler replacement gears?
Author: pennsy3750

Just curious - does anyone still make the replacement gears for the Athearn Hustler?

Date: 04/28/16 06:11
Re: Athearn Hustler replacement gears?
Author: EH49

I don't recall it ever having any gears to replace. Rubber bands were used. I think Earnest or someone made a kit to replace the rubber band drive with gears for the RDC and maybe the Hustler.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/28/16 07:21
Author: hogheaded

Both Ernst and NWSL made regearing kits for the Hustler. The NWSL kit was pricey, as one would expect. I did a Ernst conversion maybe 25 years ago, and I remember that it took a lot of work to get it running smoothly. It did cut the top speed by about half over the stock version, however. Sounded like a meat grinder. I did the conversion as a curiosity to present at my gang's occasional Hustler races. It soon got turned back into a super high speed rubber band drive, which became my star performer.

Anyway, eBay might eventually come up with an Ernst set. Why anyone would want to go to the expense of a NWSL conversion on a loco that does not have even a vague prototype, I can't fathom.

EO

Date: 04/28/16 07:34
Author: BAB

Dont know about a full sized prototype but several have been made from scratch in 1.5 inch scale with  a small gas engine and some with battery power in them.

Date: 04/29/16 12:08
Author: hogheaded

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont know about a full sized prototype but several
> have been made from scratch in 1.5 inch scale
> with  a small gas engine and some with battery
> power in them.

Hmm, taking a cue from this, I wonder how a gas model airplane engine would work for my next "Unlimited Class" Hustler racer. What kind of RPM's they pull? Hmm, hmm...

EO

Date: 05/01/16 07:09
Author: cchan006

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway, eBay might eventually come up with an
> Ernst set. Why anyone would want to go to the
> expense of a NWSL conversion on a loco that does
> not have even a vague prototype, I can't fathom.
>
> EO

Lionel also sold the Hustler, with their own gear drive. After reading this thread few days ago, I found one in my "pile of junk" from bulk bargains at local train shows. At least two listings on eBay right now, with one photo clearly showing the gears on the driving wheels (driven by worm gears). Athearn shells seem to fit (after all, Lionel and Athearn shells should be the same).

They aren't easy to find as the rubber band drive Athearn ones, but no need to hunt down the Ernst or the NWSL drives.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds