Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > Last Run

Date: 04/30/16 15:41
Last Run
Author: eminence_grise

Today was the last run of the CN Lumby Subdivision, at midnight the subdivision will be officially abandoned. Three SD70M-2's collected the remaining cars and returned to Lumby.

In reality today Kylie ran her last train on the layout as we prepare to move to a new home in the next six months. Tomorrow we will start dismantling the layout and packing all the equipment away. She is retaining all the CN, CP, BC Rail, VIA and Rocky Mountaineer equipment and selling on the American equipment from the layouts previous configuration. Some buildings will be retained while some will be sold or otherwise disposed of. 

There was great hope for this layout when built nine years ago but with life events no scenery was completed and trains rarely ran in the last cuple of years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/16 15:42 by eminence_grise.

Date: 04/30/16 15:43
Re: Last Run
Author: eminence_grise

One last photo of the last train in front of Kylies scratchbuilt MILW Avery station, not completed yet.

Date: 04/30/16 18:34
Author: PHall

But if you guys got some enjoyment out of it then it served it's purpose!

Date: 04/30/16 18:57
Author: imrl

I started a layout several years ago. Went gang busters to get it operational, kept going a bit and got some scenery down and a few buildings roughed into place and then hit the wall, so to speak. Now, it sits in its unfinished state, never to be finished as we are currently looking for a new home. However, plans are in the book to build a new layout. I definitely had fun with the old one and learned quite a few things that will help me in the future. 

Date: 04/30/16 20:46
Author: MojaveBill

My philosophy has always been to get the track down first so I can run trains, and then do the scenery. That's the great thing about this hobby - it's up to each of us to do what we like best, and to learn from everyone...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/01/16 04:27
Author: santafedan

Awaiting the new layout.

Date: 05/01/16 06:06
Author: aehouse

My layouts (2) are designed for operation and though years old, have not a lick of scenery aside from the backdrops and a few cosmetic trees.  All the structures are in place, and I'm perfectly happy with things the way they are.  I operate constantly, either with friends or solo, and the mind fills in the missing scenery.

Art House

Date: 05/02/16 07:39
Author: g-spotter

Because of the transient nature of things,  it has always been a policy of mine to do "shake 'n bake" layout design.  I  lay the track plan, then put down simple rural scenery (West Coast chapperal) immediately.  That way I always have scenery.  Any changes are handled by cutting and filling--just like actual real estate.  Adding structures and greenery can happen over time on a fully sceniced layout.  The main thing is to enjoy this hobby and the journey it takes you on; almost all layouts serve their purpose in this regard.  Keep dreaming and imagining.  Its good for ya!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds