Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Any B&M fans- need help on this hopper

Date: 05/25/16 13:50
Any B&M fans- need help on this hopper
Author: nkp746

I took this photo on 12/6/15 of BM 10034 in a WB CSX manifest in Lake City, PA. It looked interesting but all I got was this grab shot. In doing a little research I think the Tangent PS-3 hopper is the prototype match. These cars were built in Feb 1957! Kind of cool to see a nearly 60 year old car in the consist of a freight in late 2015. I am planning to get a Tangent car to model the BM 10034.

One of the viewers of my YT video on this car noted that the center and right bottom hoppers appear to be vertical, not sloped. It does seem that way- but I am not sure if the B&M did any modifications to the hoppers on these cars over their long service. It also kind of seems like the center hopper on the opposite side is sloped. It may all be due to the angle and my poor photo.

Any knowledgeable B&M fans know if the hoppers on these cars were modified at all? 

If I had known the car was so old I would have chased the train and tried to get some additional (and better) photos!

Thanks,

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA

Date: 05/25/16 13:54
Re: Any B&M fans- need help on this hopper
Author: SPDRGWfan

Cool catch and a pretty ancient hopper.  It does look like the protype the Tangent PS-3 is modeled after althought that B&M hopper has a re-inforce angle iron along the top chord added.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 05/25/16 14:02
Author: toledopatch

I think the perception that the two hopper doors you mention are vertical is an illusion.

Date: 05/25/16 15:14
Author: ghemr

RR-Fallenflags.org website has this exact car and a few others. Indeed it's an illusion-----all the bays appear to be angled.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bm/bm10034agd.jpg

Date: 05/25/16 16:59
Author: chrisbutts

FWIW these cars are ex GN.   

Date: 05/25/16 18:23
Author: Frank30

I've studied these three pictures for the past hour. Could it be that the discharge doors in the middle and right end
are hanging down unsecured as the edges of the doors are right in line, vertical  with the car ribs.  It also appears
that the sides of the chutes form triangles, the left looking like a 45-45-90 degree shape with the 90 degree angle
at the bottom, while the other two chutes, middle and right appear to be a 30-60-90 degree triangle with the 90
degree corner up against the car.  Any further thoughts on this?? One thing we all seem to agree on is that
this is a REALLY OLD car!!

Frank30

Date: 05/25/16 19:40
Author: Fredo

There are photos of 2 more of these cars on Railcarphotos.com One in much better shape without the strenghtner chord.The other car on there ,BM 10076,has the chord and looks like a twin to the car in the above photo with a bit of decorating added.. The chords were possibly added as to keep the cars working. .

Date: 05/26/16 00:49
Author: Hookdragkick

That clapped-out hopper won't retire! Must be a railroad thing lol.

Good catch. The Tangent model should work. I'm using Tangent parts from the PS3 line to "church-up" some ex-CBQ 2774 cuft hoppers. Have fun!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/16 06:08
Author: santafedan

I agree with you.  The tri-angles are different.
Frank30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've studied these three pictures for the past
> hour. Could it be that the discharge doors in the
> middle and right end
> are hanging down unsecured as the edges of the
> doors are right in line, vertical  with the car
> ribs.  It also appears
> that the sides of the chutes form triangles, the
> left looking like a 45-45-90 degree shape with the
> 90 degree angle
> at the bottom, while the other two chutes, middle
> and right appear to be a 30-60-90 degree triangle
> with the 90
> degree corner up against the car.  Any further
> thoughts on this?? One thing we all seem to agree
> on is that
> this is a REALLY OLD car!!
>
> Frank30

Date: 05/26/16 10:06
Author: hogheaded

Frank30 Wrote:
> this is a REALLY OLD car!!
>
> Frank30

Jeeze Frank, you really know how to hurt a guy. I'm way older than the car!

EO

Date: 05/26/16 11:25
Author: BostonMaine

A different question; why the reporting marks and number written with chalk? Also, there is no more BM. 

Date: 05/26/16 12:16
Author: SPDRGWfan

BostonMaine Wrote:
> A different question; why the reporting marks and
> number written with chalk? Also, there is no more
> BM. 
>  

I doubt that's chaulk - that would last until the next good rain.  Probalby a quicky spray paint job.

Date: 05/26/16 17:06
Author: toledopatch

Looks like spray paint to me, too.

As for B&M, doesn't it still exist as a paper railroad?

Date: 05/27/16 05:05
Author: nkp746

Interesting replies- thanks to all who added to this thread! Question on the trucks- I assume the original trucks would have been replaced at some point. For the current car, who makes a good truck? Would the Athearn Genesis 70-ton roller bearing truck be a close fit? 

I am not up to date on my freight car modeling details, as I have been concentrating on getting the layout running and on scenery. At some point I'll get into the weathering and detailing of the locos and rolling stock.

Thanks all!

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds