Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Model Railroading > Is the Dremel "MICRO" any good?

Date: 06/25/16 15:41
Is the Dremel "MICRO" any good?
Author: Streamliner

Looking to buy a new Dremel Tool.  I'll be doing light work, nothing tough on the machine.  Their little, cordless Micro looks interesting.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Date: 06/25/16 19:05
Re: Is the Dremel "MICRO" any good?
Author: rschonfelder

The cordless is good for nothing more than engraving in my opinion. The versatility of a Dremel is lost on a weaker machine.  I have two machines which run off the mains power plus a cordless. 

Rick

Date: 06/26/16 05:25
Author: AFReschief

The Micro had a bad start.  Most were recalled due to electrical and fire issues.  Dremel got their act together and the new micros are OK.  Any heavy Dremel work I do I use and older corded model.  The Micro is good for light drilling, wire brushing and grinding.  I can take a fully charged Micro to the club layout and It will do all I want it to do.  Ergonomically, it is a good fit in my hands.    

Just my two cents....

Jim Leonard
Cheyenne, Wyoming 

Date: 06/26/16 06:30
Author: mkerner

I have both. I use the cordless for light work like cutting rail or plastic kits as it's lower torque is easier to control. For heavy work like Athearn frame modifications the corded one comes out. They where in our safety point catalog so I figured why not have both.
Michael T Kerner

Posted from Android

Date: 06/26/16 07:03
Author: Streamliner

Thank you all for the info!

Date: 06/26/16 15:12
Author: judahrice

Dremel Micro is good for cleaning wheels on HO+ rolling stock

Date: 06/26/16 17:08
Author: herronpeter

I do everything with Dremel Cordless tools.  I have the full size one for heavy stuff and a Stylus and Micro for everything else.  I prefer the Stylus for 1 simple reason, it can be started at the lowest speed whereas the Micro always starts at medium speed and needs to be slowed down with the buttons.  I make polished aluminum reflectors for all my headlights and the Stylus allows me to start it on the slowest speed with the polishing tool covered with a soft cloth already inserted into the hole.  With the Micro the cloth usually flies off before I can get it slowed down. 

Peter

Date: 06/28/16 05:29
Author: navarch2

AFReschief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Micro had a bad start.  Most were recalled
> due to electrical and fire issues.  Dremel got
> their act together and the new micros are OK.
>  Any heavy Dremel work I do I use and older
> corded model.  The Micro is good for light
> drilling, wire brushing and grinding.  I can take
> a fully charged Micro to the club layout and It
> will do all I want it to do.  Ergonomically, it
> is a good fit in my hands.    
>
> Just my two cents....
>
> Jim Leonard
> Cheyenne, Wyoming 

My experience exactly.I use it to drill ties for track nails and find it works perfectly. I aoso use it to grind down glue oversages at places where I hold plasic gaps in with epoxy. 

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds